What's new
What's new

yet another hendey tiebar (14 x 8) spindle question...

marka12161

Stainless
I've read many if not all of the posts on this topic so i'll apologize in advance if i missed one that answers this question.

I've successfully removed the spindle and back gear. I'm pretty sure i understand the spindle bearing thrust collar shimming procedure and will have to cross that bridge for real when i reassemble the machine. In the meantime, i reinstalled the spindle in the bearings without any of the threaded collars or the step pully. I liberally oiled the bearings before doing so. My objective was to get a feel for how quickly the spindle locks up as axial load is is applied to the front of the spindle (pretty quick). Anyway, as i was turning the spindle by hand i noticed a definite "tight spot" as i rotate the spindle in the bearings. Is this a problem i need to investigate or is this a common condition that corrects itself once the machine is adjusted and run at speed? I know that this particular machine has not been run in over 10 years so i'm wondering if after sitting in one position for so many years the bearings developed some sort of hard spot.

Thank you in advance for the wisdom that i'm sure will be forthcoming.

Mark

Mark,
Unless you have clear oxidation spots on the bearing surfaces, I would exclude that sitting in one position for long would affect any plain bearing.
I would rather be concerned that the spindle is possibly bent and I'd test it on V-blocks with an indicator.

Paolo

Mark,
Unless you have clear oxidation spots on the bearing surfaces, I would exclude that sitting in one position for long would affect any plain bearing.
I would rather be concerned that the spindle is possibly bent and I'd test it on V-blocks with an indicator.

Paolo

Thanks paolo, i will do that test

Mark

Back