What's new
What's new

Boiler from Central NJ to Bethlehem, PA

Mike Piersa

Aluminum
NMIH has recently been offered the donation of a "locomotive style" stationary boiler. It is located near Long Valley, NJ. Its catalog weight comes in at around 5,000 pounds. A volunteer with a 5,000 pound capacity (7,000 GVW) trailer already offered to move it, but I'd like to see if anyone else with a larger truck/trailer would be interested in donating their services. I have already had two people blame me for broken leaf springs on their trailers, so I am worried about damaging another trailer by loading it to capacity. Photos of the boiler are online here:

O&S pictures from history photos on webshots

It is 13'6" long, and has a 35 inch diameter barrel. It was built by Orr & Sembower in Reading, PA, and powered a basket factory in Califon, NJ. It has been stored outside, but elevated on blocks. A NJ boiler inspector looked at it last month, and said that despite needing work on the lower front flue sheet and a new smokebox (it was deteriorating while still in service), the rest of the pressure vessel is in good enough shape to make it worth acquiring for an operational restoration in the far distant future.

There is also an 8'3" diameter gear from a water wheel that the donor would like to give us for sculptural use. The priority is the boiler, but we would probably take the gear if it is feasible to move it.

Loading will be donated by a local construction company in NJ. We will unload using our 6,000 pound capacity forklift in Bethlehem.

In case it matters, we do know some professionals with the right size trucks/trailers who could move the items for a fee, but I was asked to see if I could get the move donated. Any help would be appreciated.

I missed this first time around. I used to live in Califon. I knew there was a basket factory. It was said that they would buy Poplar logs to make the baskets. Had I known it was so old-timey, I would have visited.

The steam-powered Califon Basket Factory opened in
1914 and produced wood fruit and vegetable baskets
until it ceased operations in the mid-1990s. It was torn
down in 1999.

FARQUHAR ENGINE at Califon Basket Factory

Back