What's new
What's new

AMMCO 7'' Shaper - Feed Mechanism

PaulKrzysz

Plastic
Hello,
I bought this Shaper last week, it seems to be in great condition aside from the fact that it is missing the feed mechanism.
(See top image page 10, and the last photo on this post)
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2219/3662.pdf
If anyone has this machine, I would be very appreciative if they could tell me the dimensions of the missing part so that I may make a replacement.
Or - If anybody happens to have an extra laying around I would like to buy it.

Thank you
ammcoshaper 1.jpgammco shaper 2.jpgammco shaper 3.jpgammco shaper.jpg

HI Paul.

I'm not familiar with your machine, but if you have a look at the pictures on this page Page Title. You should get an idea of what is missing. I think it is only the link between the rocking tee slot part and the feed pawl on the cross feed shaft. They are telescopic to account for the up and down travel of the knee.

The blue machine is mine.

Steve

Thanks guys. Baldwin, that is a very good, clear picture.
I will get to making the missing piece.

You're more than welcome - nice to see someone with a shaper. I bought mine because I'd never seen one run let alone used one. Very useful in my home shop. As you will realise the tooling is cheap too.

Steve

The last Ammco I had I eventually sold it (Idiot!, never sell a good shaper!) and though I'd messed with it a lot never could get it to work reliably both directions, I had to confess that to the buyer.

There is a shaper group in yahoo.

I wanted to let you guys know I turned it on and ran a few test cuts yesterday, nothing the complain about!
I fed the machine manually because I have not yet fixed the feed mechanism.
The tooling is super cheap! I bought five 1/4'' HSS tool bits for $2CND each yesterday!

Two noobie questions i hope you guys can answer.
I believe I ran the table off the track, so that it is not engaged with the screw and when i turn the feed handle nothing happens to the table. Anyone know how to fix this?

I will mostly be cutting annealed medium carbon alloy steels. What DOC and feed would you recommend? yesterday I was taking 0.005'' cuts on some mid 40's rockwell 1045, i tried 0.010'' but that seemed to be a little too much.

I wanted to let you guys know I turned it on and ran a few test cuts yesterday, nothing the complain about!
I fed the machine manually because I have not yet fixed the feed mechanism.
The tooling is super cheap! I bought five 1/4'' HSS tool bits for $2CND each yesterday!

Two noobie questions i hope you guys can answer.
I believe I ran the table off the track, so that it is not engaged with the screw and when i turn the feed handle nothing happens to the table. Anyone know how to fix this?

I will mostly be cutting annealed medium carbon alloy steels. What DOC and feed would you recommend? yesterday I was taking 0.005'' cuts on some mid 40's rockwell 1045, i tried 0.010'' but that seemed to be a little too much.

Usually just pushing the table by hand while rotating the leadscrew should re-engage it.
AMMCO 7" is a light machine and do not expect heavy duty performance. I use it mostly for small jobs, like a keyway in a small gear. I have a much sturdier Elliot shaper for bigger jobs. As far as cut depth and feed rate just adjust it so the machine is not stained - you can actually see it flexing if the cut is too much. And of course make sure you operating it correctly. Best results are with the tool tip behind the clapper-box pivot plane so the tool does not dig in. In the photo a tool for internal keyway. It works on the return stroke with the clapper box locked.

IMG_0077.jpg

Back