What's new
What's new

fixing a Clausing 5914 that fell over [friends don't let friends weld cast iron]

Clark

Aluminum
That lathe fell over and broke the gear selector.

It looks like the last time it fell over, they brazed it.

I drilled and tapped with 6-32.

Attachments

• Lathe gear selector broken cast arm fixed tiny pic.jpg
    Lathe gear selector broken cast arm fixed tiny pic.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 897
Hi Clark I have a Clausing Lathe 5930 12 inch. It's a very sturdy machine how did yours fall over. I taught at a vocational high school machine shop for many years and that gear selector lever was a week link on a reliable machine. Jack

Cast is not so tough to weld

I dont understand why so many fear the cast.

I welded mine and the repair is totaly invisible now. You do need to "V" grind a bit in order to get any penitration and of course preheat and controll the cooling but small repairs like that are easy to do with high nickle rod.

Regardless you did a nice job bolting it and it is the sort of repair you can be proud of even though you can not weld cast. ;)

Mike :cool:

Brazing is not a bad repair for cast iron. The strengths of the material are comparable and braze is a heck of a lot easier to do that cast welding. Once painted you hardly know the difference.

Joe in NH

I made a new selector pin.

I put it together and it is cutting threads again.

Attachments

• Lathe gear selector pin replacement .jpg
    Lathe gear selector pin replacement .jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Lathe gear selector fixed and running again.jpg
    Lathe gear selector fixed and running again.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 399
A braze repair is usually stronger than a nickel one, unless you really pay attention to the details of the process. I have had to braze back dozens of failed nickel welds, usually on handles and such.

I have to say that I have done both sucessfully. I realy like the more or less instant repair of electric arc welding. Just tack it and it is done. Brazing is a lot fussyer. None of the handles I have ever welded have failed. I think all the ones I had to fix were broken by severe mishandeling. Hopefully I will treat my lathe better than its previous owner.

Mike :cool:

having done both brazing and arc welding of cast (and some really nasty pieces too) IMO I would braze that .the repair would be simple and since you would already be at a really good preheat temp the job is almost done before you start lol

Back