What's new
What's new

Another Diamond Horizontal Mill

Bruce Johnson

Stainless
I just acquired another little Diamond horizontal mill. I have three of them now. It came from small machine shop that specializes in gear cutting. They were shrinking down to a smaller building and needed to get rid of a couple of machines. So they gave this mill to a neighbor shop, a guitar building friend of mine. He stored it for a while, but had no real use for it, so he gave it to me. How could I refuse?

The name plate is missing, but it appears to be a M-20, like my other two. But there are a few interesting differences. Note the rounded cast iron end caps on the ends of the table. They are obviously made for collecting coolant runoff. My other two don't have those. They have a simple plate that retains the leadscrew and dial. Maybe these rounded caps were an option?

This machine was converted to a roller chain primary drive from the motor to the jack shaft, with a sheet metal cover over it. It normally is a V-belt drive back there. The motor is a cool old 2-speed monster, that switches between 1800 and 900 rpm. It's made by Ray Wrey, Los Angeles, who I've never heard of. It's 3/4 HP, 3 phase.

Another curiosity is the pair of roller chain sprockets in the secondary drive to the spindle. Huh? At first I assumed that they were a later modification, but they fit into the assembly and casting very neatly, as if it's a factory installation. Maybe the whole motor and roller chain drive rig were a factory option? Everything except the sheet metal cover.

On the other side is a neat home built electric power feed for the table. Normally, there's a V-belt drive from the spindle, which drives the U-jointed shaft up to the table. Somebody fitted a mysterious little gearbox with a separate motor. Note the interesting quadrant lever and cable that controls it. It may be a variable speed gearbox. I'll have to fire it up and see what it does.

Overall, the mill appears to be in good shape. It apparently was in use up until recently, cutting some small slots. It's covered with sawdust from sitting in my buddy's shop. I'm going to clean it up thoroughly and build it a good wooden pallet jack-able base. Then plug it in and put it to work. It doesn't appear to need any obvious repairs.

Attachments

• IMG_1813B.jpg
    IMG_1813B.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,319
  • IMG_1817B.jpg
    IMG_1817B.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,702
  • IMG_1818B.jpg
    IMG_1818B.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 3,152
  • IMG_1821B.jpg
    IMG_1821B.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,237
No need to suggest about my hoarding issues....They are well known! I'm an Abused Homeless Machine Shelter, specializing in Diamonds, Buffalos, and LeBlonds........and most other old small machines that could somehow possibly be useful.

How could I refuse this one? My buddy called me and said that he has this little old metalworking machine of some kind sitting in the corner that his neighbor gave to him. Did I want it? So, I asked if it had any kind of name on it. He checked and said that it was marked Diamond. So, what am I supposed to do, tell him to throw it in the dumpster? I did the humane, morally correct thing and agreed to take it! I even did some machining on a guitar neck for him in exchange.

I need to lease a nice big building in the desert. With a tall fence. And a bridge crane. Then I'll be fine......

that's good that it found you Bruce , that's a nifty looking little machine , sounds like you needed a another Diamond .
any idea of how many diamond mills where made ? my M-30 has a serial # 3058 , kinda wonder if that means it was #58 of the M-30 model or if it was 3058 in the mill production , in which case we should see more of these mills around .
Brice

Brice;

The sum total of what all of us Diamond owners know about the company isn't much. It appears that they were in operation from the mid 1940's to the late 1950's. I'd guess that they produced a few thousand mills of 4 or 5 models. Among us here on this forum, we own maybe 15 of them? So, a statistical guess is that there may be 100 or so of them left after 60 years.

Another nice M-20 sold on Reliable a few weeks ago: DIAMOND 5-1/8" x 20" HORIZONTAL MILLING MACHINE | eBay

That's a good, clean, nearly all original example to look at for reference. It looks just like my two others. I meant to mention that there are other differences between this one I just got (above) and the others. Note the round crank wheels vs plain ball crank handles. Also, the knee is different, with the Z-axis crank shaft off at an angle. Maybe this new one is newer, or an upgraded model (M-22?).

I don't think any of us have turned up any sales literature on the Diamonds.

Brice, I found an ad in an old Popular Mechanics - PM ad as well as reference to some kind of seven page "book" about the Diamond Machine Tools Co. -

Nice and you hauled it home in a 67-72 vintage F-100 !!!

Yes, that's another of my Antique Machinery projects. It's a '67 Ford F-100 pickup that I bought a couple of years ago. It's a genuine farm truck, having spent most of its life on a farm in central California. The first owner had it for 42 years (!!!), and I'm only the third owner. It's a little battered looking on the outside, but mostly good mechanically. Original 352 2-barrel automatic with loud dual exhaust. It truly puts a smile on my face to drive it around Burbank among the herds of Priuses. The perfect truck for fetching smaller antique machinery. I'm slowly going through it, putting everything in good condition to go another 20 years. I plan to keep it forever. Along with my Diamonds, Buffalos and LeBlonds. It's the truck I need for my building in the desert.

Nice score Bruce, I need better friends! :dopeslap:

I hope you weren't bidding against me on Ebay the other day, cuz I'm the guy who ended up with that Diamond for $660. I have found Reliable to be an excellent source of tools lately and only a few miles from where I work, so I get to skip the shipping costs for a true bargain.

Maybe we can get a thread going in order to pool all the resources for these great machines. What sold me on the Diamond mill was the description on Tony's site (lathes) and then I saw a conversion someone on this site did with a Rusnok vertical head attached to the overarm. Well, I have a Rusnok and I had a Benchmaster which I was planning on just mounting the Rusnok on, but then that diamond popped up on ebay, so I could not avoid destiny. :rolleyes5: So now that the Benchmaster sold, I have to figure out how to get the Diamond into my shop (and off my trailer). The overarm on the Diamond is 2" diameter so I will have to devise a spacer to fit the 2 1/4" opening on the Rusnok. The diamond has a larger footprint, but I will be saving space by consolidating the two.

One thing I found amiss on the Diamond was a chipped brass tooth on the autofeed under the table, if anybody is parting out a Diamond, I would gladly pay for the gear off it. Pics:

2012-07-24_18-19-20_765.jpg
2012-07-24_18-18-04_340.jpg
2012-07-24_18-18-46_52.jpg
2012-07-24_18-19-47_242.jpg
2012-07-24_18-19-03_29.jpg

All of us Diamond fans would like to see those. Could you post them on here, or scan them somewhere and post a link?

Sorry about that. I somehow dropped a link. Try these (although someone will have to track down the actual publications):

Popular Mechanics Ad

Diamond Milling machines and punch presses

Diamond Multi-max punch presses

If you want to do some searching on your own, go to Google Books and have at it. Amazing how much you can find with the proper searching.

-Ron

Etard;

I'm glad that you bought that one! No, I didn't bid on it. That's a real clean looking M-20. It looks like everything is from the factory, except for that roller chain sprocket on the back of the spindle.

Yes, adding a small-size vertical head like the Rusnok will turn a Diamond into a nice mini turret mill.

My #1 Diamond (the first one I got) is an M-20, and has a Rotex head on it. I believe that the Rotex head was actually a factory option. That Diamond came from Disney's machine shop. I remember seeing either 4 or 5 of them in a row there in 1989, all painted Royal Blue and all with Rotex vertical heads. I was told that Disney had bought them new from Diamond in the late 1950's for the projector shop. They were also most likely used at night by Walt and his friends on the model train projects. My particular Diamond suffered the misfortune of falling over while it was being moved, and its knee casting got broken. It was repairable, but in typical big-company wisdom, they put the whole machine out on the pile to be scrapped! I saw it there and asked my boss if there was any way I could buy it. That turned out to be too complicated, but he signed it over to our department, wrote it off as scrapped, and told me to load it up and get it out of there! That was 1991. Sadly, I still don't have it fully functional. I've got it about 95% restored, but still have a few things to fix.

My #2 Diamond is another M-20. It showed up about 6 years ago, as a result of some postings on this forum. The owner offered it to me as a parts machine to help repair my #1 Diamond, because the whole knee was good. He delivered it here to my shop for $250. Well, when it got here and I looked it over, it really is in nice condition. The only things missing are the motor and the overarm support casting. So, I decided to keep it together and fix it up too. Another little horizontal mill is always handy to have, right?

And now the third one has shown up. And it may be the first one that I actually make chips with!

Hello Folks I just found you'r form about Diamond mills, my frist mill choice was between an Atlas and a Diamond. The Atlas was 450$ the Diamomd was 150$ even as teenager with some wonderful adult guidance I got the Diamond mill. It was in very good shape, It had a vertical R/T angel head,1 in arbor,some #9 B/S tool holders for end mills. I bought a Rusonk head for it about ayr later. With a mill I was into steam for model boats R/C was just starting to happen.I drove MR. Charlie Cole Nutso as evey body elese. I used the mill for 5or6 years sold it to comp. that did marine engine rebuilding in Harbor City CA. Then made the big sep to model 55 Index. This was 55 plus years ago. Etard you did well with you'r purchase, I watched thinking to my self it would be great for gear cutting, it seams I have been doing alot of gears latey, then you won you'r bid, And up poped another Diamond mill, didn't beleve my eyes it was by it now I tag it got tied up with work, for got about it for 2or 3 days. sale had ended I found a phone no. and called the man sead it was available so I went took ONE look at it sead deal I told him I had to get traler got back he if you can run fork lift I could have it, he then told me it and bunch of machinery was going to junked out. Any way long story My Email is in files would like to make contact with any body a lot questions and any answers that might be helpful. Etard it looks like we are kind of neighbors my shop is in Twin Peaks near Blue Jay maybe we could meet some time. Regards Red

Hello Red;

It's good to hear from you, and good to know that another Diamond is out there. Here on this forum, there are about ten of us who own Diamond mills. We'll be glad to help you out with any questions or problems. They are rare machines these days.

My #3 Diamond (the one I show in the first post above) is still sitting out back under a cover. I haven't had a chance to build a pallet base for it, and get it moved inside yet. We've had a couple weeks of 100+ degree weather, which reduces the available energy (mine!) for playing with machines.

Hello Bruce I know what high temps do to ones work & play time I live in the mountains near Arrow Head it's been high 80's to 90', I know. Maybe some time we could talk on the phone. My reason is maybe I can get enough info to make a vertical head for this machine like had for my first M 20.I have B/P so I don't think I need to go to a Rusnok head. I guess I didn't say that this machine is M22, it has the factory coolent pump. Also this might some help for the #9 B/S tool holder go to Tools4cheap LLC Online Machine Shop Tooling Store Jeff has a good rep. Thank you for your reply, I have alot of trouble with computers. Regards Red

I have to admit, mine's still sitting on the trailer under a tarp as well. I am in the middle of a South Bend lathe restoration, so until that gets done, the Diamond will have to remain in the rough :rolleyes5:

Red,
I would really like to know how the Rusnok did with the limited available Y axis table space. I am actually wondering how a thick plate with T slots bolted onto the table might do in this case. I would like to see pics of your machine, or possibly might have to visit you. I like the drive up to Arrowhead on my motorcycle.

Hello etard good to hear from you. You'r right y is tight for my work it was used to bore 4 1.125 holes in line so little y movement was needed, & had 2 holes that neede z clearance same c/l. I had the little R/A head that gave me more room. Yes I know the cover up of or new SHINY THINGS, i'm up to my eyeballs with work winter is acoming. Then shop time. But there is always time for shop talk, you would be most welcome. Call 909-553-9690 if don't answar pleas leave a message. Regards Red

So they gave this mill to a neighbor shop, a guitar building friend of mine. He stored it for a while, but had no real use for it, so he gave it to me. How could I refuse?

I have to say, those pics remind me of North Hollywood, behind the stores on Lankershim...maybe James Tyler is your friend! lol

Nice looking machine, I'm sure it's useful. The double v-belts look sturdy to the spindle, how are they in use to change 2 belts rather than 1?

I have found Reliable to be an excellent source of tools lately and only a few miles from where I work, so I get to skip the shipping costs for a true bargain.

I 'spose all of our mileage varies, as they say...I haven't found any great deals except some of the tooling. I've only bought a couple things (literally, 2 pieces of NMTB 40 tooling) from them over the years, and often the machines look like the use is masked with steam cleaning. Half the time they even blow off half the paint. I think dealing with a vendor like Reliable is a crap shoot. If it works for you, more power! :rolleyes5:

Those pictures of my Diamond were taken out behind my shop in Burbank, as I was unloading it. The machine came from Sun Valley, just a few miles north of North Hollywood, and about ten miles from my shop. All within the San Fernando Valley.

I haven't messed with the belts on this new one yet, but the belt adjustment mechanism on these Diamonds is nicely designed. You can see it better on etards' machine. The whole frame that holds the motor and countershaft pivots at the back, and is adjusted by that big knob down below the motor. These Diamonds are classy machines. A lot of clever details in their design and construction.

Talking about Reliable Tools up in the General forum always starts a bar room brawl, so we probably shouldn't go there. But they've been a wonderful resource for me. Over the last 12+ years, I've bought maybe 20 machines and 100 pieces of misc tooling and shop equipment from them. They've always been great to deal with, and I've always felt that I got my money's worth. I'm heading down there again this week to pick up some more odds 'n ends that I've won on their auctions.

Back