What's new
What's new

Antique machinery possibly for sale

cuttergrinder

Hot Rolled
My boss has bought a complete working machine shop that was started somewhere around 1907. I have been asked to go and manage this new shop and will be taking over somewhere around the first of the year. Most of this has more modern large machines such as boring mills and large lathes.

There is one small original section of this shop that has old smaller machines and it still has a line shaft although it is not being used anymore. I think we are going to try and sell some of these old machines or possibly scrap them is there is no interest in them. We will probably get rid of the line shaft also. One of the machines that I think somebody may be interested in is an old metal planer. I dont know right now what kind it is but I believe it still works and has been converted to run from a motor rather that the line shaft. I only saw it briefly but I think it had about a 6' table on it. I think we are going to start trying to move some of this old stuff out right after Christmas and I am just checking to see if there might be any interest in this old stuff before we start scrapping it. This shop has a 20 ton crane so loading would not be a problem on an open top truck or trailer. There are also some older lathes but as of now, I am not sure what all we may be getting rid of.

Photos and specifics are your friend. No doubt that planer will find a good home.
You might also consider vintagemachinery.org and the metalworking "BOYD" area of OWWM.org (BYOD is "bring out your dead".

Last edited:
I will get pictures and specifics when I can. The deal is not completely final yet and the original owner is still running the shop so I dont have access to the shop just yet but should have shortly.

You will likely find interested in the various line shaft items.
Don't throw anything away till you find out.

I am looking for a shaper, if you find that you are selling one, please PM me. Also looking for a tool sharpener, grinder, or attachment for a surface grinder to do such.

Tim

There is a very remote possibility that I may be interested in the planer.
Would like some more information about it if possible.

If you can, take as many pictures as you can before you move anything, there are many people on here and other places that would like to see it as it is now. And as mentioned don't scrap anything, there are quite a few people that are trying to build up a lineshaft shop and that hardware is hard to find, there is a good chance there are extra hangers, and other stuff that I don't know about that could be in storage for just in case in that shop. I know a couple guys that have went across country many times to gather up this stuff.
As for the machines, I think that if they have been under roof and even possibly used in the last decade they would be much better machines than alot here have started with. I think as soon as you can get pics, if you post them here they can be identified and I am sure you will get interest as to purchase.

These machines are definately under cover and the building just had a new roof put on where these machines are. I am not sure if it was leaking before the new roof or not but the machines did not look rusty. This shop was family owned since it started so I wouldnt doubt that they even have the manuals for the machines. The time clock is in this old part of the shop so its not like it was completely deserted.

I dont expect much in the way of manuals, but that would certainly be interesting if any had been printed.

Some other potentially interesting paper would any bill of sales with prices and dates on the machines or tooling. Or correspondence to the builders. Or maybe the book keeping book or ledger, for all $$$ in and out, say the first 10 years. For any of this, you probably need to contact the former owners. if you have the time it might be interesting for you to investigate.

I would ask the new owner to give a few weeks or months serious thought to preserving one old corner of the shop. One by one, they all get dismantled and most often the individual machines are not much special. While each shop as a whole is a unique piece of history and often very special. I would hope there was no rush to tear it all apart. Without photos it is all just idle speculation on my end.

new pictures

I was able to take a few pictures today. I didnt have much time and I had to use my cell phone so the pictures are not great. Two are of the small planer and the one is part of the lineshaft. The lights coming in the windows makes it really hard to photograph anything in the shop.

Attachments

• planer.jpg
    planer.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,252
  • planer 2.jpg
    planer 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 856
  • line shaft.jpg
    line shaft.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,087
Yes there actually 2 of them in this section. You cant see the one. I believe there are 7 total boring mills in this shop. Most are bigger like this one.

Attachments

• boring mill 2.jpg
    boring mill 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:

Back