Question Barnes No. 13, Serial No. Location?

I inherited my grandfather's Barnes No. 13 lathe a few years ago and I'm interested in dating it. I've been looking for a serial no. but, can't seem to locate it. Maybe covered in grime? If you can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. When I was 8 yrs. old I turned my first piece on this lathe, nothing fancy, just a simple cylindrical part with a 1/2 in bore in one end. I think this lathe is from the early 1900's and it looks like it has the peddle legs but, it's had an electric motor conversion as far back as I can recall. I'd post some pics but, haven't figured out how to attach them yet.

imghttp://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/3d-design-etc-/albums/grandpa-s-w-f-j-barnes-no-13-lathe/img

imghttp://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/3d-design-etc-/albums/grandpa-s-w-f-j-barnes-no-13-lathe/2279-no-13-overall-1/img
    Last edited by 3D Design Etc...; 03-09-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: To add URL to photo.

timekiller is offline Stainless

Talking

As for posting pictures, you have to go back and edit the post or make another post as pictures can't be added in the first post on a thread unless edited.

As for serial numbers, I don't recall W.F. & John Barnes using serial numbers on their metal working machines. They did use a lot number to reassemble the various parts after fitting and painting.

The #13 was introduced in 1901 when the #6 was discontinued, according to Barnes catalogs.

Ray

IrbyJones is offline Hot Rolled

My Barnes 13 inch lathe has a S/N stamped into the front face of the headstock. It's hard to see, but here's a picture of it. S/N No. 226.
    http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m.../DSC01932a.jpg
    This album has more pictures of the lathe -
    Barnes 13 inch lathe pictures by irbyspix - Photobucket

Irby

Robert Lang is offline Stainless

My Barnes No.5 1/2 also has the S/N on the front of the headstock(No.150).

Rob

Default Saved the day

Well today wasn't a complete loss.

My #13 has the No 2231 if my memory is correct.

However one of my #5-1/2's doesn't appear to have a number, wire brushed that area and nothing appeared. And can't reach the other #5-1/2 at present.

Thanks
    Ray

Default Thanks for the info.

I've looked at the headstock and can't see the number but, I'll have to wait until I can get to cleaning the surface. Right now I've got a number of items stored in front of it. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I was successful in attaching one picture of it. If not, you can go to the albums and see a number of pics I uploaded last night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails no.-13-overall-1.jpg  

Flat belt slap is offline Plastic

What do you know about B.f. barnes lathes. I broke the cross cut gear in the trolly

Ed Hobbs is offline Aluminum

Benjamin Franklin Barnes was a brother to WF & John. He was a super at the original company for 25 years and then started his own company.

He used a somewhat different design on the left leg related to where/how the flywheel was located. That leg had two parts and the flywheel was in the middle. Very different.

Never seen one by BF in the wild.

Hope this helps.

Just love the stuff!

Thanks Ed

Default Better gather all the pieces ......

Hello Joe,
    You better gather all the pieces, and assemble for measurement for reproduction. I have gleaned a few pictures of B.F. Barnes lathes but as Ed said "never seen one in the wild". You may luck up and find a commercially available worm gear the needs some modifying from places like Martin Gear, Boston Gear or Browning gear. However you need to know what gear you have and need. It is difficult to find a counter person who is knowledgeable and willing to search for this information.

Ray

Flat belt slap is offline Plastic

Thanks guys I dont know why I bought it. I dont know how to use a lathe. I found out how to brake one. I learn one thing the belt dont need to be very tight. If the belt slips so thing wrong.