What's new
What's new

Carroll-Jamieson

dmaddog

Plastic
Ihave a C-J lathe that was manufactured in the late 1930's. Does anyone know what size collet it uses? Thnx for the help.

I also have a C-J from the same period and have struggled to figure out the headstock taper. It isn't a morse (too big for MT4 or even MT4 1/2, too small for MT5) I think it's a Jarno taper. So far haven't succeeded in reproducing it or finding anything that fits. It's about .6 in taper per foot. On the other hand, the tailstock is MT3.
My plan is to make an adapter that will fit the headstock taper and accept 5C collets, but I'm not there yet...

Mine was made about 1936 or so ,I bought it in 1972 and started looking for collets soon after,if I knew then what I know now I would have just got a Good 6 jaw chuck. Any thing a collet chuck can do a 6 jaw can do and alot more,got an oddball sized part no problem the 6 jaw holds as tight ,does'nt crush thin tubing, and if you got an adjust true type your work can be made to run "0-0".I know that most people think that all collets run "0-0" all the time but that just is'nt true,even the good ones can only be really true with on size and round stock,if your material is under or over size then the collets can't hold it correctly and can't run "0-0".By the time you buy the chuck and a set of collets you could buy a 6 jaw adjust true and have more versatility.

Awesome thnx for the info. I thought i had read somewhere that the tailstock which is what i wias reall conserned with was an MT3. I really have no idea how to do anything from the head stock at this point honestly. Ihave a couple other questions but for research purposes I think I'm gonna start a new thread.

Back