What's new
What's new

Buffalo Forge 10 Drill Press Spindle Speeds??

wahsatch

Plastic
Just picked another piece of old iron, a BF benchtop flatbelt DP just up the road. The motor that came with it is an open frame fan motor which I want to change out - I have both a 1/4 hp DC & a 1/3 hp AC spare sitting around - the only problem is they are 3450 rpm.

I also have a fairly stock Canedy-Otto benchtop with its flatbelt running from the motor up & over jockey pulleys to the spindle. The BF has the small countershaft at the bottom rear driving the flat belt up to the countershaft driving the bevel gear to the spindle - similar but different.

I haven't gotten into the spindle bearings to determine their type so before using the C-O as the basis for spindle speeds, any additional info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-=- Bob

Does it look like the smaller one in this picture?

buffalosnyder.jpg

I have had two of them. The one in the photo is a flat belt drive with the fast and loose pulleys on the lower shaft, and the other was a factory motor drive unit with a motor in place of the lower shaft. Both of them had one-piece (non-adjustable) Babbit bearings on all shafts. The quill is bushed with bronze (if I remember correctly) and also has a ball thrust bearing.
For speeds, you can get a rough idea by figuring that most manufacturers specified a line shaft speed of around 500 RPM.
There is no replaceable bushing in the portion of the main frame casting that carries the quill- if the drill has had a lot of use, the bore will most likely be worn oversize and allow the quill to move around.
Andy

764 RPM is 100 SFM on a half inch drill - too fast in steel without coolant.

How big a drill can you put in a #10 BF bench top?

You would like that largest drill to turn no faster than around 30-50 SFM, so that is your slow speed.

John Oder

764 RPM is 100 SFM on a half inch drill - too fast in steel without coolant.

How big a drill can you put in a #10 BF bench top?

You would like that largest drill to turn no faster than around 30-50 SFM, so that is your slow speed.

John Oder

1/2" is the biggest I'd use in mine, but I have a couple other, bigger drill presses. The Buffalos are only 1MT.
Andy

More on my BF 10

Andy,

My BF 10 is like the one sitting on the table of your big floor model. 3 step flat belt pulleys & a v belt outside rear pulley to the motor. On the other side of the little countershaft at the back bottom there are 2 ears to mount a swing table to put the motor on - tension by weight?

Anyway, I will pop the chuck on either the C-O or the BF & mount a small Mastur boring head & make it a boring mill. I have some larger, better condition chucks already mounted on MT1 arbors for my Drummond M lathe.

Just got a couple auto scissor jacks at the local flea to convert my chingaling X-Y milling table from metric to inch - a lot of the jacks are either 8 or 10 tpi - FYI - I always take a ruler & magnet to fleas - ck "brass" to see if it's plated steel or plated zinc. Once in a while I find 5 or 6 tpi scissors - now need one to make a low profile vise - bigger threaded rod - put a swing face on the moveable jaw like a Drummond shaper vise or the Millers Falls vise.

I'll start my calc's using a 1/2" drill bit. Then toy with the idea of an auto downfeed using a worm & gear on the left side - add a simple dog clutch & handwheel for manual control - the options the upper shaft on the BF affords me - neat!

-=- Bob

Bob, the ears you speak of on the side of the lower countershaft are not for mounting a motor. They were the supports for the flat belt shifter that moved the driving flat belt (not the one that runs on the cone pulleys) between the fast and loose pulleys, to engage and disengage the drill from the line shaft.
Andy

Hello Bob;

I've got a small herd of Buffalos, including three of the little Buffalo 10's. Here's an older thread about them, including a post where I have links to pictures of all of mine.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=112996&highlight=Buffalo+10

There are also some other threads where we talk about the belt drives and spindle speeds. There are a few of us on here that own the little Buffalos.

Back