What's new
What's new

Cardinal Drill Chuck 3/4"

Dutchman#2

Aluminum
With my former Von Wyck lathe mfg circa 1905 was a large 3/4" ball bearing drill chuck marked "Cardinal" and "Pat. 381441". That's not an American patent number nor have I ever been able to find anything anywhere about this drill chuck. I kept it when I gave away the 15x60 Von Wyck a couple years ago and bought a Birmingham 12x36" for daily use. And I use this Cardinal drill chuck all the time. It has a 3MT taper shank.

I had to slightly modify a Jacobs K4 key but its close enough to work well.

Anybody know anything about it?

DSCF2060-vi.jpg

Dutch

I don't know anything about it other it looks really cool....... it looks American..... I wonder if that patent number is for a "design patent"?..... the number doesn't look like a British pat......

I don't think I have ever seen it in any of my bunches of catalogs but I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for sharing it..... I would have bought it in a second had I stumbled across it... and it's cool that you still use it too.

It is an English chuck, or rather Cardinal made chucks in England, I know not if the company was English.

Cardinal chucks were very well thought of, due to their ease of use and accuracy. The type that tighten by hand, have provision for a peg spanner to aid release should it be necessary.

Quite rare to see one now, the one pictured is from the 1930s.

They were in their day the mutts nuts.

It is an English chuck, or rather Cardinal made chucks in England, I know not if the company was English.

Cardinal chucks were very well thought of, due to their ease of use and accuracy. The type that tighten by hand, have provision for a peg spanner to aid release should it be necessary.

Quite rare to see one now, the one pictured is from the 1930s.

They were in their day the mutts nuts.

Thank you very much. That's 10 times more information than I had 5 minutes ago.

I still use this chuck. I used it for 30 years on the old Von Wyck lathe and now I'm still using
it on my new Birmingham 12x36 lathe. Its got tremendous clamping force.

Dutch

1/2" Cardinal drill chuck

I have a smaller version of Dutchman's chuck - same patent number. One point that I think was not mentioned is that these chucks operate in the reverse sense to the standard Jacobs chuck (the gear ring is on the other side).

I didn't realize they were ball-bearing-equipped. I may try to track down the patent.

I have a Cardinal drill chuck but it must be a later model, its 1/2" capacity and it has three holes equally spaced around the periphery, it is smooth as silk and beautifully manufactured, its real quality tooling.

...........Edmund........Alberta,

I have a Cardinal drill chuck but it must be a later model, its 1/2" capacity and it has three holes equally spaced around the periphery, it is smooth as silk and beautifully manufactured, its real quality tooling.

...........Edmund........Alberta,
I used to have one just the same. Great little chuck, you could tighten it up by hand for drilling, if you tightened it up with the tommy bar holes you could use it for tapping up to about 3/8" as well. Another company you never hear of these days. Come to think of it, what have I done with that chuck ? Regards Tyrone.

Back