What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Planer in CT

I used to live in Coventry on Bunker Hill Road.

No weight with out a width. A 26" WB with 8 foot table was 9100. Length of floor space needed was 19 1/2 feet overall.
Their 30 X 10 foot was 13,200. This about 1920.

You need to go get it Matt. Too many short ones around to suit me.

Owner is old

1-860-742-7718 / 8607427718 is a landline Phone | WhitePages

That's a lot lighter than I would have guessed, would fit on a roll-back.

If it wasn't so darn far, I'd already have called on it.

Although I was thinking more along these lines.:crazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4kPDhrhlgk

I really would like a planer though, the only one I know of that is semi-local, is a 2X6 Peals from the late 1800's.

Yeah I need to move closer to the great iron deposits or just get an unlimited trucking/purchasing budget.

Man, with unlimited funds, think of all the boat anchors I could drag home.:cloud9:

I am still looking for a planer but I am like everyone else; it's a million miles away. My fear, too would be how hard would it be to load. Love to have it though but oh well; don't guess it's happening; really would be a handy size to have, though.

Would trucking it be out of the question? Can the seller load? Some U-ship operators have the equipment to handle that size and weight, if you were on-site to oversee dismantling and loading it might be feasible economically.

I would need to look at the way the feet are, but I would just suck it up on a roll-back the way I moved my L&S.
The two have a comparable length and weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YzflYm9Y6E

The hard part would be getting it in a position that the truck could get to it.

The guy that moved my lathe would move it, but he'd only want $3 a mile on the low end.

Ok, so no physical help from the owner, but probably some sage advice about the machine and access to what could be a treasure trove of vintage machine all for the admission price of $1250.00 or less.
I hope this thread doesn't prompt one or more less honest PM members to try and screw the owner out of everything else he has for pennies per pound.

I hope this thread doesn't prompt one or more less honest PM members to try and screw the owner out of everything else he has for pennies per pound.

Well, one has to be careful of what one puts on the Internet.

Privacy is a difficult thing. Once lost, it's almost NEVER regained entirely. And the Internet affords an AMAZING ability to "data mine" information about someone else: where live, telephone numbers, tax valuation, automobile registrations, political leanings, interests.

I had much the same quandry when I left a condolance message on a memorial website devoted to the former owner of my planer (The man who beat me to the planer back in 1978 at Tater Machinery in Leominster, MA - See http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/wood-light-co-planer-113058/) I had this funny feeling that I shouldn't be there - but not having been able to reach him earlier I thought it might be appropriate to leave a message for his family of their Dad's life's worth?

I would have LOVED to have talked with him.

But one wonders how "close" one wants to get to a family who is obviously bereaved?

Likewise, the Internet offers avenues for those who might take advantage of others. Or 'self serve' in other unrelated ways. And it would be unfortunate to unwittingly become a party to such actions.

I would counsel everyone to BE CAREFUL in this regard.

Libel exists. Also mis-information. Also "honey-pots" placed on the Internet by the unscrupulous (See these on Craigslist for diesel generators and other high end hard goods obviously priced WAY below market value.)

Just be careful out there. And considerate. Nobody can critique consideration.

Joe in NH

You could call and ask, but what I see is a 75 year old (born January 1939) with a building (or basement) full of trash he needs to do something about.

He was at the same address when he first registered to vote in 1960.:D

Planer may have been dad's - Malcolm E. C. Devine, Sr., who passed in 1991.

http://articles.courant.com/2005-04...orial-service-marian-emma-harrison-m-mcdonald

It's kinda creepy how much you can find out about someone just by Googling for public records.

Kinda why I have a nonsensical username, even though it doesn't actually do anything to give me any really anonymity (and people just seem to think my parents have a warped sense of humor and this is my real name) I still like to pretend to keep my digital foot print small.

I think this machine is priced fairly, 9-13 cents a pound depending on exact weight.

The seller should not literally give the machine a way of course, but he should put a price on it that's fair based on it's age/condition/obsolescence. And in my opinion, he has.

If this machine were local, I would be in emergency-iron-saving-adrenaline-hyper-drive and getting my trucker lined up for this weekend.

But a trucking fee of $5400 on the low end is just a bit more than I can justify spending on one machine, unless he actually gave it away, or unless I could make it do something that would make little bits of green paper with it.
But to keep it from getting scrapped......:scratchchin:

I mean there is a HBM in Dallas that is seductively teasing me from Craigslist just begging me to find space for it in my imaginary shop.

So much iron, so little money, time and concrete..............

I see a tilt bed gooseneck trailer in your future...

That would be nice, but I would really be able to do some interesting things with a Landoll....:D
Landoll Corporation: Transportation: Traveling Axle Trailers

Or the Peterbilt tandem roll-back that is parked in a lot by the farm.

A Landoll is a key element in my hair brainded plan to moving that 40,000 lb (I think, not quite certain on that number) HBM in Dallas that I keep fantasizing about.

being mostly a Deetroit boy, I would call that a small planer?
We usta (before CNC made corner picking easy) cut deckle hand operated duplicators apart

and mount em on big planers for making large plastic molds,

room for the tool(mold half)and then the plaster model

,the open sided ones were really desirable.
2 cents
Gw

That would be nice, but I would really be able to do some interesting things with a Landoll....:D
Landoll Corporation: Transportation: Traveling Axle Trailers

Or the Peterbilt tandem roll-back that is parked in a lot by the farm.

A Landoll is a key element in my hair brainded plan to moving that 40,000 lb (I think, not quite certain on that number) HBM in Dallas that I keep fantasizing about.

Once you own the trailer, Ryder rents road tractors by the day. Just sayin'...:)

Once you own the trailer, Ryder rents road tractors by the day. Just sayin'...:)

Yup, that's the beauty of it, you can always rent the tractors.

I'd need a class A though (Dad's got a class B), don't know how the insurance would work and crossing state lines might be problematic. But in the name of Iron, hang the cost and effort right? :D

I haven't actually priced one of those little gems, but I'm going to imagine it to be a princely sum.

For a trailer that isn't a fantasy, we are going to get a triple axle gooseneck with 7,000 lb axles so we are under the 26,001 (or what ever it is) limit for a class C. And to reduce the problems of a triple axle trailer, I had the idea of taking the tires off one axle and chaining it up and only using it when a heavy haul is in order. Kinda like a helper axle, except more gobbery in form.

I saw a listing of an auction with some ENORMOUS (to me) planers, with tables of 30ft+ I don't remember any details, but there were about a half a dozen of them.
Wonder what ever happened to them.

Back