What's new
What's new

Dirty old Gerstner box: restoration - destroying patina or giving a second life?

mfisher

Hot Rolled
I just picked up this box at a yard sale. From what I can tell in is from around the 1920's? Looks to be oak.

18" wide, about 8.5" deep, about 12" tall. I think it is a model 031? There was another thread where JST had a box that was 031 (leatherette covered).

Pencil number on inside of bottom looks to be 60T. Meaning?

So the question - this thing is dirty. Not patina, not use, not wear. Grease, abuse (but it is still intact), and dirt. Have to wash my hands after opening the drawers.

It has no sentimental value to me - I am looking for a box to use, but this one is so bad I can't. All the joints are tight and it looks complete (excpt for a couple knobs have screws added).

I am not about to pay Gerstner $50 to have the box dated, but before I go ahead and strip it down and refelt it, I thought it would be prudent to ask for other opinions. If this is an early example that should be preserved for history -someone else can do the preserving. I will find another one.

So what do you think - preserve or restore?

Last edited:
Also in the box were some of the previous owners tags - two different (partial) sets. Job card also down in the bottom of the box.photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1.jpg

The one set has 30 12 22 on the back. Any chance that was his start date? Box and tags have the same name - L. Fletcher.

I like the look it has now. If it was mine, I'd scrub it hard with a cloth and linseed oil, then wipe it off. A lot of the dirt and oil will come off and leave a nice sheen, but not look over worked.
If you want more aggressive, use 4 ought steel wool and linseed oil. You can always strip it if you don't like the look of whatever you do.

A dirty wooden box speaks of poor habits.

CLEAN THE D#*% thing!

Pinesol works great, Or Murphy's oil soap.

Clean is good!

Don't use abrasives if you want the "old" look to remain.

And another.
I would say the tools history is in in that wear and I would not remove it.

Murphy's oil soap, let it dry and maybe some Watco Danish oil or the like.
The box looks great as it is so just get the oil grime off it and you will be good to go.

Edit- I see you are in Annapolis.
Drop it by my shop Mike and I will get rid of it for you.
:)

G-box4.jpg

I am open to reasons why it is not a Gerstner. I believe it is from a couple posts from JST, where he had a 1925 vintage box that someone identified as an 031. His photo is attached.

Looks a lot alike.

Construction looks right (down to the bottom drawer bottom being wood, and all others metal). No tag or decal though.

It is your box now, it is not apparently either rare or historically significant.

I say restore it as little or as much as you desire. Many years ago I inherited some tools from my grandfathers. One had worked as a foundryman when he was younger. The tools my grandmother gave me were dirty, scruffy, and rusty. I cleaned them up to presentable condition.

My other grandfather was a carpenter, I also spruced up his old tools. I even painted his old Stanley rabbet plane metallic blue. I still have it and use it, and it's still blue.

Stanley 78.jpg

If you go to Gerstner's website, go to their forum. There is a thread on the different types and styles of Gerstner tool chests they have built over the years. They also have pictures of most of their built as well as pictures of other manufactures. You might be able to close in on a year or two of when it was built.

I'm pretty sure what you have there is a Gerstner chest. As for the year it was built, i'll guess in the 1940's.

Murphy's oil soap definitely plus for cleaning! And Gerstners finish restorer. A little pricey but well worth it! I own four of them!:D

Ken

I think you have a Gerstner. From the 8 drawer Union boxes I've seen, Union did not use a horizontal divider between the 1/2 width drawers and the full width drawer.

Another vote for clean and use.

If it is really greasy Murphy's oil soap & a rough cloth - an old bath towel, let dry a couple days, then 0000 steel wool and Danish Oil, linseed oil, or my favorite tung oil finish.

Dip the steel wool in a half and half mix of finish and paint thinner and rub with the grain of the wood, wipe off with a cloth and have a look. Too dark do some more, wipe off and look. When it looks right stop and let dry overnight. The next day using a pad of old T shirt or equivalent, dip in finish and rub all over so you get a nice sheen with no wet spots. Let dry overnight.

I make bowls, the below is what tung oil finish looks like, applied with a cloth.

Paul

Attachments

• P1050841.jpg
    P1050841.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 225
  • P1040856.jpg
    P1040856.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 252

Back