What's new
What's new

Factory Made Center Dividers.....

rivett608

Diamond
As with most tools... if one company makes one, so do the others.... These are also called Universal or Parallel Dividers. The black handled one at top left is the type seen in mid 19th century watchmaker's tool supply catalogs...... these were made in France, Germany and/or Switzerland. Center top is the Brown & Sharpe # 843, top right is the Kidd's patent (sept 28 1886) by The Hartford Tool Co and later bought out and marked as this example, Pratt & Whitney. In the middle left is Starrett's # 89, this was in production the longest, also came with ink and pencil tips for draftsman. Next is the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. #110 with micrometer adjust..... and at the bottom is a Massachusetts Tool Company # 63... one this and many others the cone point comes off to expose a needle point.....

fcd1.jpg

A detail of the Watchmakers type.... beam about 1 1/2"...

fcd2.jpg

A detail... these appear to have been hand filed and fitted.... an note the triangular cross section...

fcd3.jpg

fcd4.jpg

These are similar to trammels but different... here is the B & S with their # 845 trammels and the Stevens next to their #111 parallel divider with long bar and additional # 112 trammel heads....

fcd5.jpg

A detail of the Stevens ....

fcd7.jpg

And the detail of the B & S..... this is the early version with the fine adjustment..... can you imagine a factory made tool with this kind of fussy detail......there is a screw inside the tube.... the big knob at bottom locks the point bracket, the little knurled ball at top is spring loaded to the screw..... lift it and you can side the whole bracket for course adjust... then let go and it engages in the screw and a fine adjustment can be made.... now once locked if the screw is turned it will pop up instead of stripping out the threads... a built in safety....

fcd6.jpg

[ 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: rivett608 ]

Rivett - Thanks - I already 'stole' the pictures from that post. I made the knurls as described by that nice Mr Ford at http://www.FRETS.com

The system worked fine except for the first attempt when I miss-counted the dividing head by 1 hole & had to start again.
I have a few ornamental punches so maybe have a go at that type of knurl (when I've finished all those centre hole gismos !)
Just added a test piece to the previous image.
Mark

Rivett;

Thanks for the link to the old post. I had been assuming that the knurling on the watchmakers center were hand filing also, my bad.

Old biker, now that I've seen them I think I can figure out how to make them...Thanks.

Phil

Old-Biker,
Would you be willing to specify where on that site the instructions are for the knurls? I tried to find it without success. Neat site though.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Here is my centre divider.
centrehole.jpg

Construction was fairly straight forward if a bit fiddly, especially the little feed screw nut (5/32 x 40). I used the materials to hand, the fixed arm is a piece of steel brake tube which, when turned town to fit the outer tube, is a little flimsy & easily distorted although rigid enough when assembled. Small disaster when cutting the groove in the outer tube as the 1/16 ball cutter snapped half way along but I was able to salvage the tube & complete the groove with a ball ended dental burr.
The rest is mostly lathe work , either form tool or hand turning.
centrehole2.jpg

If I were to make another like this I would use rod for the fixed arm, drill & slot just the end for the screw, also I would make a finer thread tap & die for the adjusting screw.
Mark

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for showing us!

just so this makes sense in the future... this wonderful tool is a copy of the one posted in this thread....

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/11/3001.html

And when I decided to post more about these I split them into two threads so there wouldn't be too many photos...... this other thread is about shop made center divider as opposed to the factory made examples here... it also has some of the ones with the fancy knurling mentioned above pictured...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/11/3037.html

Just had to make the small one - but I think I will make something different now !
centrediv2.jpg

It is 2.75 inches long, the triangular bed is 1/4 inch AF with a 3/16 x 40 tpi feed screw. Locking screws are 5BA. The scriber is hardened gauge plate & can rotate 108 to give a wider opening.
centrediv1.jpg

Component parts
Mark

Even more OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!...... it looks like you are just having lots of fun........ how did you cut the triangle? both hole and bar? have any photos of your set up?

Also is the size the same as mine... in other words fairly small?

Mark... these are great and thanks for posting them.

Back