What's new
What's new

Fair size Hendey in Houston

NOW YOUR TALKING!!!!!:eek::drool5:
Now I know what I'm doing this weekend.

How much is that little puppy going to weight?

I was wondering when I was going to be able to out grow out of my benchtop L&S.

Ok, I just noticed that it was on blocks. :dunce:

I come up with 22,362lbs, not all that heavy actually.
That weights more that the totol combined weight of ALL my machines.....

I'd probably give Mark a heat attack if I showed up with a bigger leadscrew that needs the keyway widened. :D

You do know that when someone is in the grips of addiction, fueling said addiction is the last thing your supposed to be doing.

Since it's local, I'm going to guesstimate it will cost 1500-2000 to move.
Forklift rental say 750 at each end, and say 200 for a flat bed semi to haul it.

Looks like it's missing a chuck jaw.

Well it's only a swing increase of 10", but it has a lot more center distance than the L&S.

Looks like it's sat outside of a while, no way to test it under power, it's old (JohnO,how old is it? From the 20's?), really big, probably quite worn, I don't have a shop for, it's going to take up a bunch of floor space, I already have a big lathe and I don't have a need for the one I've got much less a bigger one.

And I need to focus on getting the machines that I already have running and tooled up.

Can you guys think of any reasons not to get it?:crazy:

Alskdjhg wrote: "You do know that when someone is in the grips of addiction, fueling said addiction is the last thing your supposed to be doing."

This sort of "fueling" is also common on the OLDTOOLS mailing list, which is nicknamed the SGFH (The Support Group from H___)

Hear! Let's help him up to the top of "The Slippery Slope" , grease the soles of his boots, and give him a gentle shove !

(IN case you don't recognize it, "the slippery slope" is a colloquialism for "a dangerous pathway or route to follow; a route that leads to trouble" It's usually taken to mean paths from which there is no return.

I once had a chance to purchase the same Hendey, equipped with the fascinating spiral relieving attachment, and I PASSED IT UP. That was years ago, and I STILL wonder sometimes if I made the right decision, and most of the time when I think about it, I conclude that I should have acquired it.

There's always "Old 'Arn Anonymous" "Hi! I'm John, and I have a lathe problem!"

John Ruth
(None of the above should be interpreted as making light of real addictions.)

go check it out and run your hands over her, and carress her, feel her up good

If I do that, there is no way she ain't coming home with me.......

I just thought, since it has the head of a 24", that means it's going to have the speeds of a 24". Is that going to mean that it's going to turn fast for the increased diameters? Or is there a provision that slows the lathe down? ie, gear reduction between the motor and input into the headstock? Or am I over thinking this?

Looks like you can remove the riser blocks and make it a normal lathe again!

The owner may be holding the fourth jaw for ransom in case some one was to steal the lathe from him.:popcorn:

Looks like you can remove the riser blocks and make it a normal lathe again!

The owner may be holding the fourth jaw for ransom in case some one was to steal the lathe from him.:popcorn:

Had that though too, but why would you do it?

So a chuck jaw is a lathe's distributor rotor? :confused::D

Goes down to 10 stock, 865 motor would cut it down more. 10 at 40" is 104 SFPM, and a person could always involve some of that modern cutting tool material they sell now.:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/24 Hendey GH/CatPagesm.jpg

Teens or twenties - at least go get the serial so Hendeyman can tell us about it.

(do Hendeys have a flat rear way? If they do I had forgotten.....)

If I do that, there is no way she ain't coming home with me.......

I just thought, since it has the head of a 24", that means it's going to have the speeds of a 24". Is that going to mean that it's going to turn fast for the increased diameters? Or is there a provision that slows the lathe down? ie, gear reduction between the motor and input into the headstock? Or am I over thinking this?

The serial is stamped on top, right end, in between the two front ways?

The catalog says the tailstock center is Hendey-Morse #5, since I don't have a Hendey I never worried about that.
What does that mean? Is it a Morse taper or an oddball proprietary one?

Yes on serial - near the light colored area on this one, right over the right hand LS bracket

HM #5 means you can use MT5

The serial is stamped on top, right end, in between two front ways?

The catalog says the tailstock center is Hendey-Morse #5, since I don't have a Hendey I never worried about that.
What does that mean? Is it a Morse taper or an oddball proprietary one?

Attachments

• Hendey-Tapers2.jpg
    Hendey-Tapers2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 191

Back