Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bryanrj is offline Aluminum

I have what appears to be a LSS 257 copy on the way from an auction purchase. Will try to get better pictures once I have it in hand.

btw, there is a LSS #53 surface gage on fleabay, buy it now price of $200.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cgi.ebay.com-screen-capture-2011-2-16-0-29-56.jpg  
    Last edited by bryanrj; 02-15-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added btw

reggie_obe is online now Titanium

Marking on my #257 copy, just has his name and clock #. I'll try and get a better image of the marking and I'll take one of the clamp as well.

rivett608 is offline Diamond

I wonder if both these # 257s are both really by Starrett? I say this because as I recall the 257s were not usually marked on the body (the blued part of the gauge like the where the 56s were marked) but instead roll stamped on the main staff........ which if replaced for any reason it would become unmarked and therefor maybe thought to be a shop made copy? I think the true test would be side by side photos with a marked example. Now all that being said I seen copies of these, I think I even still have one (buried in a pile of boxes of stuff)..... the one thing that I think I remember is on all the copies I have seen they never got that curve at the top of the body as graceful as Starrett did.......

If any of you have a #257 where is it marked? Thanks

fciron is offline Hot Rolled

I was just about to point out that my 257 is only marked on the shaft and nowhere on the base. So both of those copies could be original, the clamp and knobs on the "Barlow" model appear to match mine exactly.

Lewis

Disaster Area is offline Cast Iron
    35 miles North of the inception of Babbitt (Taunton, Massachusetts)

Similar to a Starrett #55, but unlabelled (not stamped with logo on arm base):

ihth

AntiqueMac is offline Hot Rolled

Folks,

Please keep posting your lookalikes. And, there is no intention of limiting them to surface gauges.

Here are a few Page and Hadley patent "helical coil" calipers (Pat Feb 8, 1870) that were produced by J. Stevens & Co. They are reasonably scarce and because the coil was subject to cracking in use, can bring a good price if you find one. Bob Bode (2lshark) sold one today (2/16/11) on eBay for $140.

Take a look at mine with the copy or knockoff on the top row, left in the first picture:

I changed the background and here is one of the Steven's divders:

There are some keys to look for to be sure you are getting the real Stevens version. First, the coil on a Stevens Page/Hadley patent is always 3 loops. The copy/knockoff's are only 2 coils that I have ever seen. Anyone have a 3 coil copy or non-Stevens version?

Second, I have never seen a Stevens Page/Hadley that did not flatten the rod after the coil on the calipers.

So, your turn now. Show me a great copy/knockoff or a downright fake!!!!

Disaster.... that looks like a real # 55.... some are not marked (maybe they were marked on the shaft which got changed out over the years) and many that are marked were marked VERY faintly and in different places.... I will have to look at mine to where they are marked and then you can check super closely....... and you are lucky it is real..... I don't know what these would bring in todays market but years ago they brought as much as $ 500.... I think I paid about half that for one of mine.

AntMac..... I am pretty sure that is a factory made knock off....... I think they might be English.... I have seen a few of them and I think I have seen them in a catalog...... maybe made in the mid 20th century.....

Disaster,

I'd say it is definitely a #55 Starrett! But unusual. They are marked on the spindle up near the finial. The logo is normally in a box-like shield and was stamped quite faintly. It is lightly stamped. I could 'erase' the logo on the spindle with about 6 swipes of a 3M green pad. Look sharp!

All parts are correct..... Except, yours is different in that it has two added adjuster knobs/screws on the side of the rocker. I have a 12 inch and a 9 inch example with single adjuster on the end of the rocker. I'm suggesting that some machinist added these for whatever reason - and I'm suggesting that here so one of us will show me others with the same configuation to prove me wrong.

It is very scarce.

Last edited by AntiqueMac; 02-17-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Here is a bad photo... it is one of the first photos I ever posted on the PM years ago.... you know I have posted over a thousand pictures of tools here!?!?...... I think I need to re-take it?

Anyway it is a cased shop made copy circa 1890ish of a Victor Sewing Machine 1" and a Wilkinson shifting screw micrometers....

I did take better photos...

A catalog page about the original...

Here is a early style Starrett #64 and a BIG copy...... I guess in this case we know why he made it..... he wanted a larger one?

And here is a copy of a Koch Indicator...... I have been going through my photobucket album...

You may wonder why I may say something is a copy..... in this case we have the original in the box, plus a bunch of other signed examples...... the copy is slightly different in size, constructed a little differently, hand stamped numbers and the workmanship is not the same, hence the classification of Shop Made Copy.

Disaster Area is offline Cast Iron
    35 miles North of the inception of Babbitt (Taunton, Massachusetts)

Thank you, rivett & antique mac, for your professional opinion on the surface gage. I believe it is from a closed, 100 y.o. machine shop in Stoughton, MA (had 2 huge planers, closed 2005). I looked closely for the label, but no remnants of label remain.

I have another one....
    Rule holder. It is not a Starrett #62 (different design), but has little feet on the bottom. Kind of cute.

ihth

Disaster.... I looked close at my 55's..... the one your size was marked on the shaft.... the larger one was stamped on the end very faintly, "L. S. Starrett, Pat. Appl. For"

Your rule holder is really neat.... I like that.... is the blueing as nice as it looks? Thanks for showing it.

And here is one more..... this time made in a different size by me..... why? because I wanted too........ I think I only made 2 of these and might have traded one to Ken Cope for one of my LSS #55s

Disaster,

Great #62 copy. Exactly what I was hoping to see in this thread. Is that a cast or milled block?

And, following your picture trail, I came on a rectangular surface gauge with handiholds on all four sides and the spindle in the middle. But, I wasn't able to read the logo on it. Who made it?

I saw that too...... it was a Brown & Sharpe indicator stand........ I have one in the box.... their nice.

Rivett,

That #52 which is beside the miniature #52 you made would sell for at least $100. And, I believe you make your miniatures in 1/12 scale???

So, I'll be a big spender and give you even more - size percentage wise - for the miniature #52. I'll pay more than 1/12th for it. I'll pay you 1/10th for it. $10.00!!!!

Is it a sale?

And, thank you for posting such great copies. They are over the top. I'm jealous, but having that great, $10.00 copy of the #52 will go a long way for you to make up for it.

Actually that is in a bigger scale.... something like 1/6th or 1/5th as I remember....... I did it about 20 years ago..... I think I only made 2 of these and have another two unfinished in a drawer somewhere..... I often say "I love miniatures, you can put all your unfinished projects in a drawer and forget about them"....... out of sight, out of mind.

crashtestdummy is online now Hot Rolled

Rivett, what does the lower knurled knob do on the #55's?

reggie_obe is online now Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Rivett, what does the lower knurled knob do on the #55's?
    Tilts the mast (jacks it up and away from being perpendicular to the reference surface). It serves as the fine adjustment for the scriber.

440badger is offline Plastic

Some of my knockoffs in 1/4 scale. Still big enough to be of use making other small parts. Just holding on to small parts and still being able to get at them to machine can be a real pain.
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails miniature-tools-2-17-2011-2-29-55-pm.jpg  

fciron is offline Hot Rolled

This first picture is not a fake or knock-off. It is a close-up of the spindle and snugs from my Starrett 257 surface gage. It shows the Starrett mark on the spindle and hopefully will clear up some of the fake fakes that are showing up here. (Really, have you no shame?! )

HPIM0518 by fciron, on Flickr

This is a bevel gage that I suspect was a student project. The blade is about 2 inches long.

HPIM0519 by fciron, on Flickr

HPIM0520 by fciron, on Flickr

Finally, a pair of inside calipers I made because I couldn't find any. Naturally I found three pairs at a garage sale a month later.

HPIM0521 by fciron, on Flickr

Wow, close up photos reveal the hazards of an unheated shop. Gonna have to move some stuff into the office.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast