What's new
What's new

Hendey tailstock

phat daddy

Plastic
Can anyone tell me where I can get a drill chuck arbor for my 16x30 hendey. I have a mt3 that measures right but the taper on my tailstock is deeper and it wont seat up properly.
thanks Rocky

"I have a mt3 that measures right but..." Are you sure? I had some China made #3MT drill arbors that had the right taper but were 1/8" short according to the Machinist Handbook.

The back of the drill chuck would hit the tail stock before they would seat. With out the drill chuck on the arbor the taper would lock up fine. I ended up turning my own arbors. Gary P. Hansen

Like Gary I had an import taper adapter that wouldn't seat on one old lathe tailstock, but it did seat in the tailstock of another old lathe. Import taper adapters from another store fit both lathes. On the other hand given the age of both lathes I doubt that the tailstock tapers have not been "touched up" over the years. So I'm guessing either the issue is a off standard taper (most likely) or the taper is OK and your tailstock has been remachined at some time. Dave

Stock mid twenties 16" TS taper was Morse Hendey #3. Having no data on that taper, I can't say that it was actually just a MT 3.

John Oder

jacobs arbor

Hello, I have a center point that fits the tailstock fine. measuring with a caliper and steel rule it appears to indead be a morse #3,but it is longer to the big end. The chuck arbor I'm would like to use and,the one I compared my center to, is a jacobs brand piece. I really don't think the taper on the tailstock has been messed with. if it were just a 16th longer it would seat fine. I am considering having one made or turning the end of the tailstock down some to make any 3mt fit. I am very open for suggestions.
thanks for your consideration, Rocky

phat daddy:

About 6 to 8 weeks ago, I sent out a drawing of the bushing used in the headstock to
allow the tailstock center to be used in the headstock spindle. It seems that I now have to send out a print of the #3 MH taper center for the tailstock. I have a drawing that
shows the #3 MT center next to the MH taper for comparison. The first time you look at
the drawing you may not see the difference, but just keep looking and you will see it.
While the Morse Taper was available in several "half sizes", Hendey used the 2-1/2, 3-1/2
4-1/2 and 5-1/2 on a regular basis. John's comment about not having any information
about the MorseHendey tapers is very understandable, they were never published. When
I make a center or a sleeve in either the Morse taper or Morse-Hendey taper, I have the
advantage of a set of ring and plug gages for both types of taper that makes the job a
lot easier. Since most of you will be making one or two off of these centers, just work to
the gage lines shown and you should get a perfect fit. One more thing, Hendey did supply
the Jarno taper and centers on some lathes. If you need a copy of the MH taper drawing,
leave you name and a fax number and I will send it out. I can also send it to one person,
who can distribute it to the rest of you.

Hendeyman

phat daddy & Hendeyman:

Thanks to Hendeyman and Pat Black, I was able to obtain a copy of the Hendey Taper Drawings. I have posted them on Photobucket. Click the thumbnails for larger size drawings.

If Hendyman has any problem with my posting, please let me know and I will remove access.

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited:
Digesting?

Got the picture phat daddy?

#3 Morse Hendey (Hendey Morse?) is .0713 bigger on big end than #3 Morse.

At .0502 taper per inch, you would have to take a little more than an inch off the TS quill to get it near to the #3 Morse size.:)

John Oder

I see

Thanks for all the help. I guess I need to have someone make me an arbor or maybe an adapter to 3mt to fit my tailstock. I'd be willing to pay whatever it is worth as I can't yet do it for myself. I'm sure there is a chuck arbor for my lathe out there somewhere but someone has aquired it through 5 finger discount. When I went to look at it several others had already been there and judging from the chuck keys I found in the chip pan it should have had at least three drill chucks with it. This lathe has basically been in dry storage for the last 20+ years and the man who had it before was a very well known local who could do whatever needed done. After I got it home and got it powered up the chuck was vibrating very badly. I then discovered that 2 of the 3 bolts that held the chuck onto the faceplate were laying in the chip pan too, with the other on only finger tight . One of the other lookers was about to aquire himself a 10 inch Cushman 3 jaw chuck. I can't stand a liar or a thief and am positive in a few more days there would much less for me to bring home.
Rocky

Here is a suggestion:

Find out what Jacobs taper is in the chuck you want to use.

Buy a drill chuck arbor with that Jacobs taper but the next size up (#4MT)

Then you will have a place to start - for whoever does this custom work.

I just checked two of my drill chuck arbors - one by Jacobs and one no-name made in Spain. I could file on both of them, which means they could be machined into something different.

John Oder

Back