What's new
What's new

Your Favorite Surface Spray

Frank R

Stainless
I have several machines sitting in un-heated garages that see no use and will be sold eventually.

What spray would you recommend I use to keep surface rust from forming? I have heard a lot of griping about WD40.

I also like LPS3 and Starrett M1, which I think are very similar products. Both are carried by Production Tool Supply, the closest one to you being at 12161 Telegraph in Redford.

My experience with WD40 is that it attracts dust then eventually evaporates but only partially, leaving behind a glued-on brown film which locks parts together.

Bob

LPS3 for a long term protective coating. LPS2 for machines and tools you plan to get to sooner, rather than later. WD for driving the moisture out, to be followed by a protective coating of something else.

I've had a mill sitting in an unheated garage for two years. Sprayed it with Boeshield when I put it there (and not since) and there is NO rust at all.

One of the woodworking magazines did a rust preventative test and Boeshield won by a long shot.

Steve

Sprayon PDRP. Much cheaper than LPS3 or Boeshield (about $4/can in case quantity). Dries to a waxy film, easily removable with mineral spirits. I've had a lathe bed outside under a tarp for 3+ years and its doing fine.

For long term, LPS3 can be purchased in gallons and brushed on. That will lower the cost and nothing lost in the spray process. What ever you use, I think it is key to check back from time to time and verify that no places were missed. LPS3 is like a wax. LPS2 is much lighter and I use this in my damp basement on machines I run, just not every day or even weekly. I also like to cover all my indoor machines with a drop cloth (not plastic). It keeps the dust off and seems to magically trap moisture that condenses out of the air.

I never tired that stuff jeff mentions, but it sounds like the exact same idea as LPS3. Must be a bigger markup on the LPS brand?

Either way, spray cans always cost a premium over the jugs.

Super X red spray grease.Works very well I have some pieces of 4x6 flat bar that have been in a unheated shed for 3 yrs no rust yet does catch a lot of dust unless you cover it up.On the machines I have in storage in addition to the spray grease I put a tarp over the machine with a lightbulb under it also.

Ask and you shall recieve!
Fluid Film
Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

Its good stuff. I like that I can spray it on my lathe, and then start using it without having to clean the stuff off. It never dries or sets up and doesn't leave any residue. Supposedly it can protect for 2-3 years. It is readily available from your loacl John Deere dealer. I would think most good industrial supply places would have it as well, but since there are Deere dealers everywhere it shouldn't be to hard to find.

Honey Goo

I use Honey Goo made by Clean Flow it's in a spray can and will prevent rust on machines when they are stored works real good .
Collector

Last edited:
elbow grease...its free....everyone? has some....takes awhile to apply however getting someone to part with theirs for free is next to imposible....sorry just had to. I used pure carnuba mold release wax on a cnc mill table i had sitting in the garage for a few years....no change since the day i applied it, i've not tried it but i think automotive spay wax detailer products might work short term also as most automotive stuff has to live outdoors although usually they're sitting on top paint so im not sure of the rust inhibit properties.I'd wipe down the bare stuff with acetone before applying the wax.

Back