What's new
What's new

It's a SIPP!

There was another SIPP. They made model size steam engines, kits and boilers. They were quite substantial in size and quality. Steel plate boilers with cast iron tops and bottoms. So; not what I expected.

I dont recall or never heard of this SIPP. Not the same right?

You might post a still shot of the drill press and closeup of the builders plate.

There was another SIPP. They made model size steam engines, kits and boilers. They were quite substantial in size and quality. Steel plate boilers with cast iron tops and bottoms. So; not what I expected.

I dont recall or never heard of this SIPP. Not the same right?

You might post a still shot of the drill press and closeup of the builders plate.

I think the SIPP engines were made by a different company. The drill press was made in New Jersey about 1915.

2954-A.jpg

Steve.

heres one in fort wayne i think
new price heavy duty drill press and south bend lathe
looks like it could be had for scrap or a bit less
nice pick up, it looks like a very stout DP

I don't know, it has some things in common, but other things are quite different than mine. The part that supports the quill is much stouter, and that one might have auto feed. If it was local to me, I would jump on that.............and also if I did not just buy this one. In my case the seller knew the scrap value roughly, but I think my promise of not scrapping it, and keeping it together helped seal the deal.

Steve.

I guess it is the same company if it is Paterson NJ. The model catalog states he builds special order machinery.

A google of "sipp model steam engines" will show some of the steam boilers and engines.

If I had the drill, I would sure want something of this to display on the drill table when not working.

My guess on the dating, is the model business continued after the heavy machinery demand fell off. Just a WAG, because there seem to be more engines. I see the 2nd image was dated 1901. I dont know perhaps small steam engines are a prime collector fodder while a drill press is well, less sexy.

Attachments

• 1901_Sipp_Electric_c._1901.jpg
    1901_Sipp_Electric_c._1901.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 452
  • Page1_2.JPG
    Page1_2.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 368
  • ebay_1.JPG
    ebay_1.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 398
  • P2130002.jpg
    P2130002.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 523
Steve,

If possible, could you please post high res images of the pages shown in your You Tube movie - e.g. the patent drawings, the adverts and other pages you showed. I couldn't read them on the movie, but would very much like to examine the workings of the gear box and belt-changing mechanism.

-I like the table lock being at the front of the table - good.
-Being able to take the belt off the top is good = endless belt possible. I see the advert above says there is an idler pulley to take up belt stretch, automatically. Perhaps it is not working....
-Speed changer sounds good...will hold judgement until it is working!
-I suppose the table is made to accept jigs and fixtures, maybe left for the owner to drill their own fixings? It does seem weird to have no tee-slots though.
-I have a similar table on my big Barnes Drill - we bolted on a huge piece of RHS (300x300mm square x say 2000mm long) it makes an excellent table and gets the table up to a good working height.

Last edited:
+1 on this -
Nice and all about starting the tractor , etc , etc , but how about just some decent full frontals and detail shots of the drill ?

Sorry about the images not stating on screen long enough, I am trying a different editing software, and am not used to it. Maybe you can pause on the image? I'll share what I have, but the resolution is what I have, so hope they look ok. I'll also include a link to the PDF I found of the patent, 8 pages or so long.be links to where I found each item, that will be in the next post. As for pics of my press, I think I actually forgot to take stills before dis-assembly (doh!). As I explain in the video, originaly this press was not made for a electric motor. The patent drawings show there was a "belt shipper" that was removed from my machine. A belt from an overhead line shaft in a factory dropped down to the belt shipper/pulley assembly. There were 2 pulleys side by side, one smaller than the other. When the shipper lever was slid to the left, the belt ran loose on the smaller pulley, and the operator could change bits. When he was ready, he slid the handle to the right, and the shipper would move the belt up onto the larger pulley, and engage the drive. This was supposedly a big improvement over other belt shipper's used in those early days. Many early belt shippers were located on the overhead shaft in the factory. Many of them were "fabbed up" onsite, and some were primitive. Some required the operator to use a pole or stick to coax the belt into position.

Iron_Age.jpgMachinery.jpgThe_Automobile4.jpg2954-A.jpg

SIPP patent

Well, the previous post showed me the pics are small, even when you click on them. Sorry about that.

The problem is I found most of these in online books, most in PDF format, and after finding the exact page, I converted that one page to jpeg, and to conserve file size I chose a lower resolution, or pic size.

Here are the links to several sources I used:

Iron Age - Google Books

Machinery - Google Books

Sipp Machine Co. - 1916 Ad-Sipp Machine Co., Drill Press | VintageMachinery.org

Pics of one that sold at auction, has several pics:

(1) Its A Sipp drill press, has been stored in outside conditions, pre... - Orbitbid.com®

Article in early magazine:

The Automobile - Google Books

Here is a link to download PDF file of the patent application:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...JPUJAwLFjprTm8_sQ&sig2=wFaq_SvdSsBuV3ek8njN6A

Here is one for sale on Ebay:

Sipp Quick Change Sensitive Drill Press | eBay

Here are the drawings from the patent application, but if you would like to see them better, download the PDF file from the link I provided.

Likes appreciated!

Steve W.

US1167440a_Page_3.jpgUS1167440a_Page_4.jpgUS1167440a_Page_2.jpgUS1167440a_Page_1.jpg

Was there more? I quit about 30 seconds in on that particular bit of agony..

:(

Bill

Agony? really? You made me one sad panda. Well, after the first 3 minutes of video you could not bear to watch, I get to the drill press, and talk about it's features. Video number 2 that I have not uploaded yet will be strictly about me getting dis-assembling it, then getting the heavy base down the bulkhead......so you may want to skip that one. I spent 3 minutes showing the Oliver tractor, because many of my youtube subscribers love the series I did on it, and several ask when I'll be doing more......but it is not everybody's cup of tea.

Regards,
Steve.

Hope you ain't serious about '3 ^^^ whole^^^ minutes' with that poor sad panda of the obviously-very-mortal remains of an abused Oliver when the come-on was a drillpress?

Could inspire a custody battle on the grounds of a proven pattern of parental neglect, that...

Most 'ere HAVE long-suffering stuff like that. But we surely don't publish on it.

:)

I am so stupid that I do not understand your comment. Sorry about that, I just never finished college.

:o

Steve.

NOW I am beginning to trust your judgement.

Just split the video.

A trashed tractor in uncaring hands is for a different audience than a vintage drillpress that many hope to see get better treatment.

Bill

A year ago that tractor was deep in the woods on a farm where it was parked and abandoned. The owner was about to call a guy to haul it to the scrap yard. Then I rescued it. I have spent a lot of hours getting it to where it is now. I do not have unlimited funds, so I do what I can when I can. I see you do not approve of my methods, nor appreciate the time I spend posting here. You have made that clear. All I ask is a little more tolerance. I'd like to continue posting updates as I progress, and can only hope my future efforts will be well received by the majority of those following this thread.

Good day.

Steve.

.... I see you do not approve of my methods, nor appreciate the time I spend posting here. .... I'd like to continue posting updates as I progress, and can only hope my future efforts will be well received by the majority of those following this thread.

Steve,

A thick skin can be an asset when posting here...:)

Keep right on posting, I'm interested in the drill press. When I get bored, I'll skip ahead. Reading here was optional, last time I checked.

Neil

sipp steam engine.jpgUS1167440a_Page_4.jpg

Well, for those of you who are interested, I have made another connection between the Sipp steam engines, and the Sipp drill press.

The 1914 patent application for the drill press is signed by a Grant Sipp, the same name that appears on some steam engine adverts.

Steve W.

This is part 3 in the video series. Just me moving the heavy base into the basement. First 5 minutes of video is me fighting to get the frozen tractor running, so for those who find that agonizing to watch, skip ahead to 4:55, oh, and last couple minutes is a Happy New Year message to all my subs on YT:

Sipp Drill Press Part 3 - YouTube

Having watched none of the videos I'd have to say I agree with thermite.

If you want to make videos of your tractor, by all means do so. If you want to make videos of your drill press, do that too.

Combining them into one video is a PITA and demonstrates to me at least that you don't have the ability to separate items into their appropriate categories, or your way of thinking is such that frankly I don't want to bother watching anything you put together.

What would you think if someone advertised a video on say a metal planer in action and had the first 5 minutes of the video showing shots of their new baby learning to crawl across the floor? That's what you're doing.

Keep videos *on topic*. Why do you think PM has many sub-forums and the moderators get pissy about people not posting stuff in the correct category?

PDW

Having watched none of the videos I'd have to say I agree with thermite.

If you want to make videos of your tractor, by all means do so. If you want to make videos of your drill press, do that too.

Combining them into one video is a PITA and demonstrates to me at least that you don't have the ability to separate items into their appropriate categories, or your way of thinking is such that frankly I don't want to bother watching anything you put together.

What would you think if someone advertised a video on say a metal planer in action and had the first 5 minutes of the video showing shots of their new baby learning to crawl across the floor? That's what you're doing.

Keep videos *on topic*. Why do you think PM has many sub-forums and the moderators get pissy about people not posting stuff in the correct category?

PDW

You are entitled to your own opinion, but I notice you said you did not watch any of them. I felt I addressed the issue by clearly telling viewers not interested in the tractor part to skip ahead to 4:56, and I thought Part 1 had lots of interesting parts about the SIPP.

I should have nothing but drill press in the next video, since the base is now in the basement. I plan on detailing the dis-assembly, cleaning, bearing replacement, re-assembly, and painting of this machine. I will also be addressing the issue of fabricating a replacement belt, and setting up a motor that will drive the spindle at the proper RPM's.

Hope you all stick with me on this.

I stand nothing to gain from these videos, so positive comments are my only reward……..imagine how you might feel if you poorer your time into something you thought would be worthwhile to watch, only to have some one tell you they did not see it, but think it is trash? It's not as though I Rick rolled you.

Steve.

Back