What's new
What's new

Jacobs 56B headstock chuck?

FWIW ths timpken bearing 5x18 atlas /cftsmn lathes have 1x10 spindle .... earlier bronze bushed ones use 1x8
best wishes
doc

I have one of those on a #4 MT shank with a hollow center for use on 14" lathe (or any machine with #4MT arbor or adapter). Seems like a handy thing to have.
You don't have to use it in the head stock, can be used to chuck up closer on something that would bottom out in a normal Jacobs chuck.

Jacobs used to sell these with a internal Jacobs taper behind the thread so you could use an arbor with the chuck if you didn't need the spindle thread. Don't know if the chuck with the 1"-10 thread chuck has this feature or not. The 5/8" capacity one with the 1-1/2"-8 thread did have a No. 3 Jacobs taper. The 3/4" capacity chuck did not have this feature.

I did a check on eBay sales for the 56B....2 sales. One for $14.99 and other for $4.25. You may need to lower the expectations. What is the condition? How much are you asking? I may be interested but would like a picture before deciding. Gary R.

Sear sold a kit for armature servicing for use on the unmentionable lathes they sold. The kit consisted of the Jacobs chuck for the headstock spindle, a Jacobs chuck on ball-bearing arbor for the tailstock, and a "Mica Undercutter" which mounted on the saddle of the lathe like a follower rest. The Mica Undercutter used a short piece of what looked like fine tooth hacksaw blade and the operator manually brought it down into each commutator slot and cranked the carriage to move the saw blade.

Southbend probably had a similar "armature service kit". Back in the day, this was something auto repair garages and motorcycle shops did routinely on generators and starters.

I lucked into 2 new-in-box Jacobs spindle nose chucks for my Southbend lathes. Crazy story: in 1972, when the powers-that-were were "tooling up" the powerplant machine shop, they ordered a Southbend Heavy 10" lathe and shot the works at A.C. Colby, the dealer. They ordered that lathe with a camlock spindle nose. Someone got the bright idea to order the Jacobs spindle chucks for 10" Southbend lathes. Not knowing which 10" lathe the plant had, they ordered one each for the light 10" lathe (which we never had at the plant), and the heavy 10" lathe (which we did have, but had the camlock spindle nose). Those two chucks sat gathering dust for 30 odd years. No one knew what they were for, no one really had an interest in them. I knew immediately. I got both chucks. I gave the one for the heavy 10" lathe to my buddy, who also has a heavy 10" lathe with the threaded spindle nose. I kept the one for the light 10" lathe, as I have a Southbend light 10" under a bedsheet in my shop. I lost track of how many years I've had that chuck, and never have used it. About the closest I came was when I contemplated regrinding some motorcycle engine valves in the lathe. With an odd sized valve stem, the Jacobs chuck seemed like the best way to hold them and have them run reasonably true.

Jacobs used to sell these with a internal Jacobs taper behind the thread so you could use an arbor with the chuck if you didn't need the spindle thread. Don't know if the chuck with the 1"-10 thread chuck has this feature or not. The 5/8" capacity one with the 1-1/2"-8 thread did have a No. 3 Jacobs taper. The 3/4" capacity chuck did not have this feature.

The 56B I have, 1" x 10 tpi, has a straight hole .655" diameter behind the thread.

The real advantage of this chuck is that it will pass a workpiece through the spindle. While you could use it on an arbor in the headstock, the arbor - unless it was hollow - would not permit passing a workpiece through. A hollow arbor would allow that, although you'd have to give up the drawbar.

Back