blackboat is offline Hot Rolled

Not sure if I'm in the right part of the world here, but I thought I'd see if anyone could tell me more about this level. Google gets me nothing, so here it is:

And the inscription:

Sorry for the less than stunning pics. Friend at work gave it to me the other morning; said one of his kids gave it to him from a garage sale or something, and he was cleaning out his shop and had no use for it.

Pretty nice for the price; wooden box a little battered, but I'm not complaining.

Rob

JST
    JST is offline Diamond

It seems to be 0.0035 per foot sensitivity, and is shown as late as catalog #9, which I have. The catalog isn't dated, but appears to be '60s, so the level need not be old.

Provision of wood box with sliding top should move it earlier. In the catalog I have, the box is hinged top, and available only for the 18" model.

precision tools is offline Hot Rolled

It appears in catalog No. 8, and the 1959 price list has the wood box as a $6.50 extra for the $17.75 12" level.

Interestingly, it does not appear in Catalog No. 7.

MarcS is offline Cast Iron

One more thing, I have a 6" #58 level and the vial is satin chrome which I think would make it a later model, so I would agree you have an earlier level. A comparable Starrett can be had for $210 (12") or $320 (18") so you have some bragging rights.

Marc

blackboat is offline Hot Rolled

Thanks guys, that firms up what I was sort of guessing.

Rob