What's new
What's new

My Miniature c. 1880 Machinist Chest is Finished

rivett608

Diamond
For those following this..... it is finished! I posted a thread in General .... I know some folks don't read over there often...... so here are some photos.

BTW.... I took these to a show and sold them all in the first minute!...... I made 6 of them!

DSCN9623.jpg

DSCN9618.jpg

DSCN9606.jpg

Rivett608:

No intrusive questions from me, just a "Plus One" on the appreciative comments above, and the following general question, which I fear has already been answered in a prior thread:

What was the scale (ratio to prototype) again?

John Ruth

YES... all the chests sold were full of tools just like the one in the photo... the only differences were the wood they were made of..... the two in mopane cost a little more because it is a lot harder to work with. The price was in the 6K range... that is each.

The "Fetching" girls, as one friend called them are my grandmother and aunt...... it is now the joke of the family thinking of grandma as a sexy tool chest girl, in some ways she acted like a puritan....

Thanks for all the kind words....

That's just nuts, totally freaking nuts! Damn right you sold all of them in the first minute, just means you didn't ask for enough. If at least one or two people didn't fall over stone dead after your told them the price then you aren't asking enough.

Seriously, great work, mind blowing GREAT work.

On edit: Bet you half the difference you can get three times that amount.

Rivett, I think your skill and imagination is amazing, as you know, and I'm certainly glad to have met you. Thanks for showing these.

Can I ask a couple of impertinent questions? Are the rules scaled? Have you ever thought about miniature tarnish or rust, miniature greasy fingerprints on the tools or box? How would you go about such a thing? Or signs or wear on the tools or box? I'll bet you have thought of these things, and lots more.

Thanks again, and best regards.

As for scale rust..... let me tell what I think is a funny story, I was down at Ted Crom's in Fl, the rust capitol of the USA... and I pulled out a miniature saw I had made and he got all excited because it had a rust spot on it.... see he had lots of nice tools and the idea of them rusting was not part of his plan....... I just kind of scraped of the active rust and it left a stain.... he wanted to polish that out and I said no, I like it stained a little... it looked real! What happens is my stuff ages a little as time goes on and looks better... even when I have to polish say brass, it looks like polished brass which is what the full scale stuff looks like. What I have to watch out for is out of scale fingerprints.... they'er bad!

Back