What's new
What's new

Powermatic 1150 drill press history lesson?

Tuff Luck Tom

Aluminum
I never thought much about it. But yesterday I decided to try to find some info on my 1150. Man those things are going for an arm and a leg. The average is around $600. I can't really find any info on the 1150. It would be really great to know some history about this machine. Serial # is 66-9894-1 if that helps. It would be nice to know a year or year range. On it. Thanks in advance.

An ARM AND A LEG????? So a drill press that weighs two hundred pounds has a used value of $600.00. That's three dollars a pound. RAW CASTINGS poured in 2010 cost two or three dollars a pound for the small cored castings in that drill press. Gasoline, when that drill press sold new, sold for 18 cents a gallon, now it sells for $2.80 a gallon. SIXTEEN times as much money now as then. So WHAT should a drill press sell for in 2010.Does it still work as a drill press? So in our skewed perspective on values of used machine tools, it appears the Powermatic drill presses are selling for MORE than the average machine tool. I paid 12.8 cents a pound for a used SIP Jig Bore. it weighs 18,000 pounds. man that's an arm and a leg! Or a Kearney and Trecker rail mill which cost $300.00 but weighed 45,000 pounds. Compared to these two you paid BIG MONEY Could any company in America now make that drill press and sell it for less than 2 grand- the answer is no. So when are prices of some of these more useful and popular machines really going to reflect that fact. Why have certain machines devalued as much as they have. The plasma TV or other TV's people are paying big money for right now, will probably be dead in ten years. That drill press theoretically will NEVER DIE! The only way that unit will turn into scrap is if your DROP it. Everything on that drill press is repairable, rebuildable. So cheer up, you still got LOTS of body parts left over.

Got my bridgeport for $0.75/lb, with a DRO. Compared to the $600 drill press, i got a steal. But when it comes to old iron tools I think were all getting deals. The ones getting ripped off are paying the same price for new foreign tools that dont last forever.

I only paid $150 for my powermatic and thought it was a fair price for all involved. I had no clue they were that valuable. It is a nice drill press with the variable speed belt clutch or what have you. I was just shocked to find it is worth so much. I do pretty much all my drilling on my milling machine now. But the powermatic will stay in house for sure. It only needs a spring for the retract but that is minor. Im not complaining at all. Im just pleasantly surprised! Its a nice machine...

Back