What's new
What's new

Selling antique tools?

Fal Grunt

Titanium
I have some old tools, most are machinist, that I was going to sell. I gather the opinion that posting them here would be preferred by the forum moderators than in the normal commerce venue?

Is that correct?

Don't get too excited, there is nothing too fantastic. Everything from old Ford wrenches to tools I don't know what they are. Some are machinist, some are . . . Well, you guys will have to let me know.

Reviving for a followup question: how old is old enough for this forum? I have three older tools that I don't intend on keeping, but I don't think any are pre-WWII. Old enough or normal forum? Wouldn't be used in a modern shop, although perhaps would've been still in use at my last job :nutter:

I think the answer of how old is old enough for this forum is...a machine that is no longer produced.

This will leave open a whole bunch of stuff made after WWII, but this a tool that would not be a first choice for someone in commercial work.

Logan Actuator still is around - and they offer product support of parts, accessories, literature. But they (to my knowledge) don't offer completed lathes anymore. So they would be a candidate for here.

And, there is still the "normal" classified if you should be selling something that is in current production and support. It's found at Machinery for Sale or Wanted

If there is something you still feel is "on the edge" then you can list either here or there - and reference a link to get to it as a single post in the other location.

For instance. If you were to sell a Pootatuck Corp Wood Trimmer (a bona fide antique - but still available new and still with product support) you might do it as above.

How I see it, anyway. Perhaps Greg (or John) have better guidance?

Joe K

All Logan machines are OK, Craftsman/Atlas lathes are not permitted, generally the Atlas horizontal mill and shaper are not but I view that rule as less stringent. Age is not a big factor IMHO, though I imagine discussion of old cnc machines here would be somewhat out of place.

If all we're talking about is a box of wrenches... its kind of dubious but if they're old.. its not hurting anything.

Back