Thread: Shepard lathe

Off-kilter is offline Aluminum

Smile Shepard lathe

Looking for manuals/infor on a 1921 shepard lathe. It has longitudinal and horizontal feeds and looks like some sort of early thread cutting gears on a selector shaft. Just purchased this lathe and its in pretty good shape. It is similar to my South Bend 9 in a lot of ways but very different. I also have a Craftsman 109 that I puchased to learn from. Wow!!!!!! What a learning experience that was. I have checked the Vintage Machinery and Tony's UK websites and they have very little info on the Shepard lathe. Its a real cool looking lathe and shows a lot of history and evolution to present day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Best regards, Boatman

timekiller is offline Stainless

Cool

Hello Boatman,
    Can't help with any information on a Shepard lathe as new as yours. I have jpegs of a circa 1903-1905 catalog.

Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shepard-00-inside-front-cover-1.jpg  

Off-kilter is offline Aluminum

Hey Ray,
    Thanks! Thats what I am finding out. I purchased the lathe for the chuck and tooling but decided after I got home that it is pretty cool. I decided to restore it and use it. The ways still look good. I have a south bend that I can relate to but would be great to have a parts breakdown. Thanks again!
    Boatman