What's new
What's new

Small Antique lathe ID?

fumehappy

Plastic
Yes, it's another Lathe ID thread!
I'm sure there's a million already...
Picked both of these up at a sale yesterday. I'm thinking they may have been treadle lathes originally?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks!
20140730_232316.jpg20140730_232323.jpg20140730_232345.jpg20140730_232351.jpg

Does it say leader on it? there was a lathe called the IXL leader lathe perhaps this is a very early one of those.Page Title

On edit it seems quite a few lathes are called leader incuding some of the latest Chinese offerings.

The Leader was probably American, circa 1900 or so. Here is one with treadle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgiCDgskT8

The other one looks newer because of the V-belt pulley, but that could be a replacement. In one of my piles, I have an old catalog of "Driver Line" (Walker-Turner) brand lathes and tools which I think bear some resemblance to this lathe, at least in quality and features. Sears sold them in the 1930's. Basically they were early 20th century home shop stuff.

Larry

(collapsing)"barn sale" in every sense of the word. The one with the cross slide was out front, the bigger "The Leader" one buried in a pile of chewed walnuts and Squirrel feces.

Im thinkin small wood lathes. Whered ya find them?

Inexpensive (and some expensive ones, too) old metal lathes are often mistaken for wood lathes. You almost never find a three jaw chuck on a lathe used only for wood, like the one on The Leader lathe. Basic metal lathes came with T-rests standard and a slide rest was an extra, rather expensive, accessory. Of course, any metal lathe can be used to turn wood.

Larry

The Leader lathe was typical of the foot powered treadle lathes offered in the late 1800's and into the early 1900's. Not sure who really made them but do know they were offered by a NY City company Frasse & Company. Think they were a distributor or perhaps a hardware company as I remember. They were typically treadle powered but in some cases could be purchased "stand alone" or with a small counter shaft for bench operations especially in the early 1900's when electricity and small electric motors became more available.

These were a big step above the amateur Miller Falls Goodell lathe but not the size or capacity of the Barnes and Seneca Falls treadle wood lathes. Would say the Leader lathe would have been about $25 to $30 and the stand another $15 to $20 around the turn of the century.

The other lathe appears to be of the same general type and came with a compound. They were sometimes referred to as a "speed lathe" and they were designed for both wood and light metal turning. They cost a lot less than a screw cutting metal lathe and would image they came in handy for certain metal turning projects and certainly did turn wood very well. A typical wood turning rest would have come with the lathe as well.

Got a Leader lathe on the treadle stand but the tail stock is missing.

Just love foot powered machinery.

Thanks for sharing, Ed

Ed, thanks for the info. I'm going to clean these guys up sometime next week, and I"ll look for serials and such.
I'm new to the lathe restoration scene... does anyone have a favorite guide or tips for these old fellas? Was planning to start with mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool
Thanks!

Thanks to the direciton of helpful forum members, I found this Briggs documentation that looks very similar to both.
Photo Index - Briggs - The Briggs Lathe No 1 | VintageMachinery.org
Briggs - 1883 Ad-Briggs Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

Also a W.C. Young lathe that approximates the larger one. According to referenced thread, he may have supplied lathes to Frasse & Company.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/antique-metal-lathe-113548/
Treadle wood lathe by W.C. Young

On cleaning, go very slow as you can't put back the paint or pin striping easily once it is gone. In my experience, there are as many ways you will find to clean tools as there are people who want to clean them. Have seen some heated arguments over this.

On the unpainted surfaces like the bed, I will use some very fine Emory paper with some light duty oil or even WD 40. Normally that is just light surface rust that will come off after a little work. You can take it all the way back down to shiny metal or stop with some patina left.

On the painted surfaces, I actually use something call Fuller Brush Wood Cleaner and Polish. Got on that cleaning other tools that had both wood and metal on them. It comes out as a foam spray and left on for a while will help to clean all the built up dirt and grime. Then use some of this artificial steel wool that is made from plastic. think that is a little less harsh on the painted area. It leaves a pleasant smell as well.

Perhaps somebody has a stand somewhere that will fit and you would have a nice foot powered lathe.

Thanks Ed

Well, i started on the "The Leader" the other day with some paste wax and a rag, since there's very little soil on the actual enamel. Was able to Identify the chuck as a cushman on the front, but there was this stamp on the side:
20140803_111157.jpg
16 Bond St N.Y. it looks like.

NO markings whatsoever on the smaller one, but I did get it apart with relative ease. It appears my initial thoughts that the pulley was a replacement are true. Found evidence on the quill.
20140803_113311.jpg
20140803_123200.jpg

Been a long time, but wanted to update that I pulled out the "The Leader" lathe last night, and cleaned it up a bit. Needed the three-jaw chuck to turn down a knob.
Found a chuck key for it at a flea market, as well as a dead center that more or less fit the tailstock.

Anyways, I found that it's serial number 17! It matches on the bed, tailstock, and headstock.

20150216_233058.jpg

20150217_003429.jpg

Those legs would look VERY cute underneath a wooden butcherblock top to make a doll sized accessory table for their New York walk-up industrial rehab dollhouse.

You could show exactly what great taste your dolls have.

And make THOUSANDS selling the table to them.

Just kidding. Of course.

Joe in NH

Anyways, I found that it's serial number 17! It matches on the bed, tailstock, and headstock.

This is probably a shop number and not a serial number. Unfortunately, a "no !" situation. Often as machines were built, the fitted prices were all stamped with a number (generally 0 to 99)
to keep track of which parts went to which machine. The head and tail were probably hand scraped, not interchangeable. So those three pieces got stamped.

Is that a wooden leg? if so; there are ways to deal with that. The best best (if I am seeing that right) would be to use the good leg as a pattern to have another cast. Not done this lately, might be $50 to $100 job, postage and all.

Yes, it is actually a wooden bracket i magic'd up cause It took up twice as much space laying down. It's glued double 3/4 plywood and pretty sturdy.
Still not sure what i'm going to do with it eventually... Hoping to find a treadle base or a matching bracket at the flea markets :)
I also cleaned up the second lathe a bit... used some simple green, kotton kleanser, 0000 steel wool followed by past wax.
20150224_235310.jpg20150225_001518.jpg20150225_001536.jpg

Back