What's new
What's new

A treatise on the construction and use of milling machines made by Brown and Sharpe

Jim Christie

Titanium
I found this link on archive .org and I thought those of you with Brown and Sharpe Milling Machines might like to see it.

A treatise on the construction and use of milling Machines made by Brown and Sharpe 1896

A treatise on the construction and use of milling machines made by Brown & Sharpe mfg. co., Providence, R.I., U.S.A., manufacturers of machinery and tools

I was interested to see the # 0 plain milling machine
A treatise on the construction and use of milling machines made by Brown & Sharpe mfg. co., Providence, R.I., U.S.A., manufacturers of machinery and tools
that is slightly older than mine and but close to Panhard 99's # 0 Y that he posted about here sometime ago.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/b-s-0-mill-w-pictures-115557/

Regards,
jim

It says castings should sometimes be rattled after pickling. What is rattling?

I think rattling refers to putting the part in a drum along with abrasive type or sharp edged materials. The drum is then rotated, sometimes for long period of time, and everything kind of bumps against each other to remove any surface material that might be loose/partially loose. Similar in action to rock tumbling among the lapidary set.

Pickling is using an acid to clean the surface. Problem with pickling is that it can "undermine" a surface impurity, but not remove it. Rattling can remove it.

Rattling is sometimes done as a substitute for abrasive blasting, which is (IMHO) a more "thorough" way do accomplish the same end. However, hard to do a bunch of parts together in blasting. And there is the cost of the abrasive device and it's media. Meanwhile the "rattler" does a bushel basket of parts cheaply without even the attention of the operator.

Joshua Rose in his seminal "Modern Machine Shop Practice" (1879 and others) talks about surface preparation by the various methods. His discussion of sharpening files by the use of sandblasting is worth anyone's attention on this board.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks also to Robert Lang for posting the additional links in the Sticky Images and Links section
They are for other edditions of the book above as well as For B&S. Grinders and Cincinnati milling mchines .
I have a 1950s version of the Cincinnati book and I have learned a great deal from it.
Regards,
JIm
Jim

what is (are) Sticky?
Ever look at top of a forum section?

Up there we have some "stickies" - they are always there, instead of always headed down to oblivion.

Their purpose is to have a place to put stuff no one has to search very far for.

John Oder

Back