Thread: Wright Anvils

GSTEVES is offline Plastic

Default Wright Anvils

I just purchased an old anvil. Markings on the side are, HENRY WRIGHT-DUBLEY- WARRANTED SOLID-281. I'd like to know if Henry was a relative of Peter Wright and if so, what years did Henry produce anvils. It seems as though the 281 mark is the actual weight. I did put it on the scales and it weighs in at 280. Over all lenghth is 30-3/4", top plate is 19-1/2" and height is 13". If anyone has information on, or where to find information I would appreciate the help. Thanks GSTEVES

L Vanice is offline Diamond

Peter Wright worked in Dudley, England. Look at your "Dubley" marking again. Also see if it says "solid wrought." The company was Peter Wright & Sons, but no indication of the sons' names. There have been a couple other Henry Wright anvils mentioned on the web.

I think the old English makers did not mark weight in pounds, but 281 can't be hundredweiths, quarters and pounds, so it probably is the weight in pounds. Does that mean it is not so old? If 20th century, it should also be marked "England."

Larry

GSTEVES is offline Plastic

Larry,
    You are correct Dudley, not Dubley. Nothing else for markings except #5s on the horn end base. Thank you,GSTEVES

bartthefarmer is offline Plastic

I have a book titled "Anvils in America" by Richard Postman that has a wealth of information regarding anvils throughout history. It says that in 1891 Peter Wright warned of a imitator in his advertisement who was most likely Henry Wright. The author obtained two advertisements for the Henry Wright anvil dated 1890 and 1891. He says that Henry Wright's anvil looks just like the Peter Wright anvil in every respect and that the finish appears to be good. The author believes the company was started in the late 1880's and lasted until about 1914. He has only recorded 11 Henry Wright anvils as of 1995 and says that the weight in most cases is in actual pounds.
    I hope this information helps, Bart

Paul Cataldo is offline Stainless

As bartthefarmer has shown, "Anvils in America" is just about the best source of info on this subject. That book never seems to disappoint.

graham.moyses is offline Plastic

I've seen a few Henry Wright anvils and they all have been in good condition and like the Peter Wrights, attractive in shape. I don't think any of them have been that large. You've got yourself a very nice anvil. Anvils in America is the definitive work on anvils and for those of us that like large lumps of metal, a great read.
    Graham.

nedgumbo is offline Plastic

Default Wright anvil

I have a WRIGHT ANVIL that has been in our family for over half a century, I have pictures and a description of it, and I would like to know more about it, such as where it's from, how old it might be, and what it might be worth. If there's an Anvil enthusiast out there who can help, please e-mail me at jdgipe@syix.com and I will reply with the photos & info.

George Andreasen is offline Stainless

Okay......I'll say it. Since there was an imitator, you had to be careful and not get the "wrong" Wright anvil........

Sorry.......it's late in the day.

buggyman is offline Plastic

Default Henry wight anvil

Quote Originally Posted by nedgumbo View Post
    I have a WRIGHT ANVIL that has been in our family for over half a century, I have pictures and a description of it, and I would like to know more about it, such as where it's from, how old it might be, and what it might be worth. If there's an Anvil enthusiast out there who can help, please e-mail me at jdgipe@syix.com and I will reply with the photos & info.
    I have a Henry Wright Anvil too!
    Mine is 122 lbs and in good shape. Many of the sides have been chipped off, I just welded across the heal and a little on the off back side as a test. If it lasts, I will refurnish more of the edges.
    I'm just now ready to mount it onto some kind of stand. I've always just used it on the floor
    Anyway, if I can help let me know.
    Paul Kingsbury
    the "buggyman"

My Anvil Description

Purchased 1989

Henry Wright
    England
    Warranted
    Solid
    122 lbs.
    1880s-ca1914

cretedog is offline Cast Iron