Graeme Sharp is offline Aluminum

Default WW2 Taylor Hobson Engraving Machine Still Earning Its Keep

Although its not perhaps as sophisticated as some of the machinery featured in this forum, I thought this WW2 engraving machine might bring back some memories to some of our members.
    It is a Taylor Hobson engraving machine and I "rescued" it from a forgotten corner at a dealer a few years ago. Stripped and cleaned and given a birthday with new electric contactors it is now earning its keep by turning out various plastic labels for the numerous machines and control boxes throughout the dairy where I work part time. The original 440 volt 3 phase motor is still perfroming well, though we drew the line at the 440 volt 3 phase single switch (similar to a domestic light switch) to turn it off and on. Hence the new contactors. It also has knee operated disc brake to slow and stop the spindle.

Surprisingly, many spare parts are still available and the quality of the engarving is excellent. Note the cast in "WAR FINISH" on the top casting

cutting oil Mac is offline Hot Rolled

Graeme,
    I have a Taylor Hobson, slightly younger than your machine, I was using it up until last year, but due to shortage of space, and other projects in my workshop, i feel i wont use it again, Should anyone want it it is available

boslab is offline Hot Rolled

i have the same beasty, purchased over in good old Griphithstown [s wales] at the site of Trevethics railway, it dosent have the war finish cast in, i have a full set of manuals if you want a copy
    regards
    mark

Graeme Sharp is offline Aluminum

Thanks for the kind offer Mark. Happily I already have a copy of the manual for the machine.
    Graeme

jkilner is offline Plastic

Hello
    I am new to this forum and looking for an engraver capable of 1:1 in addition to reduction.
    As I work from home in a small business making miniatures it would need to be 240v
    If anyone has or knows of a suitable machine like a Taylot hobson I would be interested
    John