What's new
What's new

Moore CNC jig grinder on eBay

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 1,629
Nice machine but I always thought CNC= high volume production and jig bore= low volume precision, so why a CNC jig bore?
Bob

Bob,

How about low volume precision along a toolpath?......Todays Wire EDMs with their ultrafine finishes have rendered alot of these fine machines all but obsolete. But when you need (or want) a beautiful ground finish around a shape, you find nothing better than this machine, which was possibly (probably) fit with the CNC control in Freeport, PA.

Harry: I know this will do very nice work but I don't understand what the CNC would add to the machine's capabilities. Seems to me it would be used for one offs certainly not for production of any kind of volume. So wouldn't twisting the dials be at least as cost effective as writing the program?
Bob

bob, if you read the brochure copy at the bottom of my listing, it gives some information on the capabilites it has that manual jig grinders do not have. As to production vs one offs, I've never worked in the mold field but I assume there are instances of repeat jobs where it comes in handy to have a program in memory rather than working it out manually all over again.

There is a book put out by Moore titled Holes, Contours and surfaces. This book discribes in detail some of the procedures for creating parts on a jig grinder. If you take the time to see just what is involved in producing contours and features like those examples listed on the Ebay page, you would understand why the CNC control would be disirable.

Charles

Back