What's new
What's new

Logan 12 inch lathe on Ebay

Personally, I'd prefer an engine lathe with a turret over a tailstock...*much* superior for drilling, tapping, etc..and you can still lock it with a center for end support if need be.

As to why no bids yet, I can only speculate that the newish looking paint might worry some. Plus your comment about the ways looking good isn't real inspiring. I had a 1980's South Bend 10K with flame hardened ways once, where the ways looked good too...no ridge, no scoring. But the "pull up on the carriage" test proved the thing was slamn worn out. You could pull up the carriage 1/8 inch near the headstock and yet it would bind up halfway toward the tailstock. So, ways "looking good" doesn't necessarily mean anything.

THis came in from a College Shop all ready painted, all I did was dust it off. I don't know if it had an owner before the college or not but this is the type of machine a school shop would buy new and not the type that a local industry may of donated. as far as the wear goes I will try the lift test. is that lift and seperate?

John, you should put the "from a College already painted" bit in the ad copy...that might help.

Another time I had a very nice 13" Clausing lathe acquired as part of a package deal. This one also had the turret/tailstock combo. That buyer refused to take the turret, even though it was free with the machine. I still have that turret.

That's astounding. There are times I would have killed to have an engine lathe with a turret. Some of those aftermaket turrets cost $2,500 or so even back in the 1980's. I seem to recall Enco offering them spec'ed out to whatever lathe you had, all you had to do was bore the tool holes in the turret so they would line up perfectly with your spindle.

Thanks Don, I revised the Ebay listing. Just for everyone's ref, the year is 1964, the paint is a few years old it came that way, Came out of a College lab, lift test is very good, I could not tell any difference betweent he lift in front of the head and about 2/3 the way down. these ways really look new!

Also, I agree on the advantages of a turret. It would be nice if my 14" Regal had one so the drill chuck , boring bar etc were allways there , plus I bet the feed is more rigid on the turret than the tail stock.

John,
I didn't look at where you got your 46 feedback (buyer or seller), but that is still new enough that you may not realize many serious ebayers wait to put their bids in. The last 10 minutes, often the last 10 seconds, are frequently when the price doubles or triples.

With that in mind, also consider the item. Most newbies are usually worried about spending the amount we are talking about here on eBay. It takes awhile before they go crazy! Plus, they probably aren't familiar with how to ship, etc. All of this adds up to the fact that most of the people that may be interested in bidding on your lathe are probably more "advanced" buyers... the ones that will wait until the end of the auction.

Alan

Doug,

I bought a Clausing 5900-series lathe a while back for my home shop that came with standard TS & cross slide as well as the bed turret and a production cross slide. Almost turned down the latter two due to weight, especially the bed turret, but can never bring myself to turn down any accessory or gizmo in a "lot".

That bed turret has turned out to be a very useful accessory and I've been extreemly glad to have gotten it. The production cross slide has a leadscrew and a need for it hasn't turned up yet, but I'm watching for a lever-operated type.

Mike

Speaking of thread drift, I have to say I was curious and moderately apprehensive about teh turret that came on my old Hardinge, but it has already proved useful. I would like to find a way to make it so that I could use the same tool repeatedly without having to index the turret all the way around (any ideas?), but for multiple step operations like drilling, tapping then champhoring, it seems like it would be awesome and am glad I got it.

John

no bids yet on this very nice lathe. Somone is missing out on a real deal. starting bid is $500.00, free skidding and loading, and my goodwill is all ways free to buyers.

That's too much $$ for me, but you were worried about your mill going for $500 and it went for many times that.

Now if this were single phase 220 or priced at around $350, I'd consider, but that's just me.

$350.00 are you kidding? now if this was a 2 year old Grizzly, it would probably go for that.
Funny, It has had over 1500 hits last time I looked and I have gotten at least 15 emails from guys saying they are going to bid, they are all waiting until the last half hour I guess.

Re $350, it is funny the warped perspective many home shop guys are getting into regarding machine tool prices these days. I mean, the darn *chuck* might have cost that much !

Still, I can understand if you only "sort of" want something there will be a low figure at which you "act", but don't insult a seller when the price is already insanely low as it is.

D. I'm not insulting the seller. Just saying that he was crying when his mill was at 500 and obviously it sold for a lot more than that. But to come in here and cry that no one is yet bidding, when everyone knows that all the action on ebay is in the last 2 minutes is just funny.

Yeah, LOL, I would only pay $350 for it. I don't think that's warped. If you do, cool, that's your opinion and I understand that you are entitled to it. Here's teh thing though, I just picked up a nice logan, with a ton of tooling for $200. Shops are going out of business everywhere and if you are there at the right place and right time you will make out great. Oh, I also got a Bridgeport J head for $400, but of course that required me going back for a second trip. So, if you take your time, deals are there. I'm just letting know the thought that went into my post. LOL, I do think the chuck sold for more than that, but did you expect to make money if you were buying this stuff new?
rolleyes.gif

well thanks for the encouragement, this is still a nice machine and will be worth what it sells for. Note that I added a pic of the ways showing their condidition and yes I finnaly have some bids. We will have a discussion about values later when I have time. Thanks

Back