What's new
What's new

Largest available taper

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Does any of you gentlemen know if there is any brand WEDM out there that has a 45d taper capability?
It seems that all machines are 15 or 30 deg max, and the odd thing is that they are limited by the control to do larger tapers even on small heights.
I need to make a cut at 45D on a .500 part. Unfortunately the fixturing would be insanly complex to do multiple cuts at varying angles, so I'm looking for an easy way out.

I run Charmilles wires and even though the books says you can only do up to 30 degrees, we routinely do 45 and even 60 degrees. you just need to use the right wire, flushing cups, auxillary flushing, etc.

Thanks guys.
Looking at the websites, all machines seemed to list only the 30 deg over whatever height.
At the end of yesterday I've found that Fanuc actually lists the 45deg as an option for the standard 30 deg.
Anyway, it appears that I'll have a choice of machine when the project materializes.

Harry

On the Fanuc can you change the programmed plane from lower to upper plane within the same program?
I need to have the 2 separate tapered paths < +45 and -45 deg > meet in the same point in the vertical direction pretty much dead nuts, as a vertical thread will have to be performed there and continue cutting vertically.

Mitsubishi is releasing a 45Deg option for the FA10S and FA20....am told it'll be field retrofitable, and around $5k

Funny this thread just started up again, as I'm cutting that 45 deg angle at this very moment.

Turns out that the control has limited the max programmable taper, mostly due to the limits imposed by the flush cups.
Talked to Brother < actually Charmilles > and changed the value to 46 deg and now I'm good to go.
Did a little hacking on a wasted upper cup and the tapers are coming out just dandy.

Funny, that was another thing the Mits rep told me about increasing the nominal machine max taper...he said one limiter was the flush cups. Well, yeah.

Glad you got it working!

Seymore

Who would you recommend in the Connecticut area for maintaining and setting up a Brother edm?
I am thinking of purchasing the HS100.

Thanks

Re: fizzissist
Mitsubishi is releasing a 45Deg option for the FA10S and FA20....am told it'll be field retrofitable, and around $5k
Angle Master.
The guides are about $3K for the set. I don't recall how much the 20mm upper and 16mm lower flush cups cost.
Yeah, flushing bites, but it CAN be done.

Seymour, which model Brother are you running? Just ran a 20 degree angle on our HS-70A and had to do the same thing. Max angle was set at 15 degrees from factory. Reset to 25 degrees, drilled out the nozzles, and presto!

We ran a 45 degree angle in .500" tool steel on our 290P about a year ago now. All we had to do there was put the wide nozzles on and get the heads close enough without hitting any clamps.

20 deg. may still be possible, but at 45 you're riding the steel part of the guides.
When I tried it, it actually did work, at least good enough to proove the concept of machining that part, but dialing in the error would be an absolute nightmare.
I'm running a 3100 and a 50A.
How do you like the 70A? Do you have any other Brothers?

Slugo

What's up with that 45 on the mits? The salesguy here swore up and down that they can do it.
At last Eastec the only machine advertised it was Fanuc, and even there it required pretty extensive modifications, loosig the AE circuit for the run, changing guides, cups and a few others. Mits said none of that.

Seymour

I look up this company on the website

Ross Machinery Sales

212 North Plains Industrial Road

Wallingford, CT 06492

Is this the company that you would recommend for
service and checking out the machine before I buy it?

Thanks

We have an old HS-300 we bought used from EDM Network about 10 years ago. It's OK for small, low tolerance work but it's slow by today's standards and it eats tank seals.

The rest of our machines were all Charmilles.

The last of our "old blues" died last year, we had three at one time, one being the first WEDM in the Houston-Galveston area.

We still run two of the beige EF22-930's, I was amazed when I first saw these machines and realized they were built on granite surface plates. I still can't help thinking "How cool is that!" about them.

Then we have the Robofil "sisters". We have a 290P, 510, and 690. I really like these machines, and our experience with support and service from Charmilles just can't be beat.

When we needed a new machine we looked at Charmilles first, but couldn't find anything with the travel and Z we needed that would fit without moving nearly all our other machines.

Then they pointed us toward the Brother machines and we decided the HS-70A would fill-the-bill. We had one on the floor and cutting in January of last year and liked it enough to buy another two months later.

Back