What's new
What's new

Identify this System 3R powered thingie

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
OrbiCut Mini Servo...is this a sort of rotating axis for manual sinkers or ? One of the drawings in the manual shows creation of a large internal thread but little explaination of how was actually done. I presume a graphite threaded rod is orbited around inside a hole in the material that is larger than the rod ? :confused:

Any idea what it cost new ?

edmattach3.jpg

Yep that's pretty much what it does. How much new? I don't know but a LOT. Unfortionately since there are so many CNC sinkers around now, it's probably not worth nearly as much as it could be.

So it would really have no benefit for any CNC sinker would it ? Since it doesn't really have a controlled rotation like C axis but "oscilates"...correct ?

Don,
That is correct, this unit does not rotate like a c axis, unit travels outward 2mm radial for undercuts,(threads) or enlarging cavitys in the horizontal plane (vectoring)with the same electrode you ruff cut with by eroding the side walls rather then eroding down ward with a larger electrode. I have a similar model with the cnc contol and 5mm of travel (paid 6k used 6 years ago). They really improve the performance of manual sinkers. The mechanical units like you show are more or less obsolete due to the cnc versions which can be had for a reasonable cost used (5k) and cnc units have more movement cycles (9). The unit you show was about 12k new in 2001 3r catalog, assuming it is a 3R-321.7.
Hope this helps.
RK

Very interesting RK. Yes, model is 3R-321.71. I wasn't aware of a CNC verison of this and now I'm curious what the CNC versions look like...got any links or photos ?

Funny they were still making the one I have as late as 2001, if there were CNC versions out there...or was it that the CNC versions were way higher priced than that and few used ones around back then ?

Don
The CNC versions are 20+k new, they also had a 3 axis version, works with the Z axis on the machine,can do tapers and spheres with simple trodes. Charmilles also had a similar mechnical unit like yours, think it is called isocut an option on their manuals, it was tied to the Z axis also could burn on a 45 deg. had a guy burn some tunnel gates in a mold we could not set on an angle, its pretty slick, tricky set up though. The CNC models are just a mini X & y slide with stepper motors and a controller, control has canned orbit cycles, manual position, arcs and linear moves and a 200 block mem. you can tie a bunch of moves together all within its 10mm range and do some pretty intricate burns. Will post some pics in another post could not get them to stay here without losing post :mad: :confused:
RK

The Unit in Don's pic is the older orbiting unit. When I bought a Hansvedt in 1993, it was offered, but we chose the true CNC unit pictured in RKDeckel's post. I have been well-pleased with ours. The orbiting speeds up burn time, as well as letting you "sneak up" on a dimension. As far as my uses, I would rather have it than a full CNC EDM. Much of my work is repairs, EDM'ing partlines that I have had welded, as well as prototype molds that must be adjusted to get dimensions correct. Don, I think there is still a market for that unit. It would be a great addition to an older manual EDM in a small shop. IMHO, a mold shop still needs a manual EDM, just like they still need a Bridgeport. Lots of small jobs can be done in a hurry, without breaking into the CNC...

Back