What's new
What's new

Hole Popper

customlll

Aluminum
I am thinking about getting a hole popper. I don't know anything about them. I would need something that can burn a hole in 8" thick material. Can be manual. What is a good small machine I should be looking for?

I just purchased a Mits ED2000. Very nice machine. Only problem is the 7.8 inch Z. I am going to put a riser block in to give me more height. I ran a current for a few years. This machine burns better. It breaks through awesome when it gets to the bottom.

Can you provide a little more info? Will you be using it for this job only? Just want to pop holes for wire start, or want to get into production drilling as well?
There are many machines, most will do the 8" you need. Typically the max diameter is 3mm, but some will allow you to go larger.
Are you concerned about drill times, easier and cleaner exit holes, blind holes?
Do you need DRO, edge detection etc. etc?

Mainly burning start holes for the wire machine. But also would like to do blind holes. Would need DRO and edge find. Speed would not be too important. What about the Genspark America T-15
One on Ebay now item # 7618387199. Anyone have one of these?

In my experience, most of the "generic" machines are pretty much based on the same design, originated by Sodick way back when. Don't know too much about that Genspark, but it also looks like the same type of unit as others. Doesn't make it bad, it just states that you'll most likely get the same drilling results.
I have a Perseo Erie 75A unit, dro, programmable Z, and other standard stuff. Not bad, does the job just fine. Looks very much like machines from Charmilles and quite a few others, only the front panel different.
For what you need, that Genspark or most others will be OK.
For ultra small holes, precise spark control, truly clean entry/exit holes, a Current, Astec, HON, or a Beumont would be a better, albeit more expensive solution. Sodick also makes nice machines, but they optimize their control for using an additive called Vitol, which makes everything rather sticky.
If you decide to go new and can get a hands-on test, try a few different materials. See how repeatable is a blind hole test. For through burns what does the entrance of the hole looks like, how much hesitation you get when the trode breaks through the bottom. You'll most likely encounter holes in the .4 mm range, see if you get electrode buckle or burn-up. Many generic machines wont have sensitive enough servo or arc control below that diameter, but I get fairly frequent requests for holes in the .016 - .020 range so you should be able to do that. Check out the ability to bun carbide, and < surprise > aluminum or copper, maybe even Titanium.

A $15K start hole machine is not in the cards for this shop.
What about a machine for the occasional start hole in hard material. A manual machine with limited hole size (dia), a non production driller.
What would the bottom end of the spectrum look like?
Price?
Brand / model?
Can an old sinker power supply be taught a new trick?

Back