What's new
What's new

Wire EDM one side only

Perk

Cast Iron
Who makes an EDM that will allow the wire to run through one side of a tube and out through the tude I.D.? The tube would be mounted on the 4th axis, the part is similar to a barrel cam.

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here. I take it you want to slot just one side of the tube? How long is the tubing? If it's short (even the smallest WEDM's can do around 8") you can just clamp it verticly and cut it like that.

I can invision what you are talking about but I have never heard of it. typically people wouuld laser or waterjet the type of cut you describe.

you describe a WEDM where the lower guide is a finger thet can reach inside a part... so that the used wire runs over a pulley and exits along the finger.

interesting.

dsergison, That is exactly correct, the lower guide would have to slip inside the “tube” because the widow we need to cut only goes through one wall of the tube. This part is a metering fuel sleeve for the Joint Strike Fighter, extremely close tolerance.

What is the length of your part? Again it could probably be cut verticly, unless what you are saying is the slot is not the full length of the part. There are other alternatives also, like a diamond specimen saw. These can be had in thickness of about .020". A sinker EDM could also be used with a thin sheet copper electrode and plunge in from the side.

A better description of exactly what you are trying to do would be helpful.

I have seen adaptations to machines to operate like this, generally of mediocore accuracy because their application did not require it. But an accurate fixture to accomplish this would not be difficult to make.

At a previous job, I built an attachment that does exactly what youy describe. It worked OK, but it didn't hold my tolerances and was a bitch to thread. But I was cutting a very small diameter (.032" ID) tube.

What do you call "extremely close tolerance"?
What is the size of your tube?

I might be able to dig up some old information about my test cuts.
I would also rebuild it and provide a demo cut, if you want.

I believe it would be very difficult to try cutting metering ports successfully in a WEDM. Even though you may successfully get the wire to travel through some special transport system that you might devise for this process, the results would not be very predictable, since there will not be room for an adequate guide system, and you will be at the mercy of the wire's condition after rolling over some considerably small diameter rollers. Depending upon the wire hardness and the amount of tension applied, you could possibly hold .0010" with this set-up, but not the typical .0001" that is routinely required for these parts. I believe you will have much greater success if you do this on the sinker.

Back