What's new
What's new

EDM reloading dies

jwatts

Hot Rolled
I load for a few calibers that dies are not readily available for, and carbide dies are all but non existent. When loading 1000 or so rounds wiping the lube off of each one gets to be a pain. Could dies be made out of carbide roundstock through sinker EDM? On the large end it would be roughly a .530 in. diameter hole. If it can be done what kind of dimensional tolerances and surface finish could be expected? Thanks in advance, I've already learned a lot from reading this board.

Yes, this could be done on a sinker EDM, but unless you have your own EDM it might be less expensive to contact a carbide header die tooling shop and have your dies made of a high binder content (perhaps 20-25% cobalt) which can be easily reamed, has high impact resistance and would be well suited for your application.

Buy the carbide green, machine it then have it sintered...

Polishing is always the problem though..EDM leave a rough finish, and you will need a glass like finish in there....

Do what I do for my 338 lapua...get a Ultrasonic cleaner...this strips all lube and carbon off the brass quickly, and the brass looks new inside and out...

ADM AE, you say that the higher binder content carbide is easily reamed. Is a low binder content carbide reamer sufficient to do the job? Also would it make a difference if the binder were cobalt or nickle?

jwatts, I'm not familiar with reaming carbide with a nickel binder, but I would imagine you could machine it similarly. Yes, when reaming carbide it is normal to use a harder grade of carbide (tungsten or cobalt grade) as the reamer. Grades with around 3% binder content work nicely on reaming 20-25% grades. The reamer is typically no more sophisticated than a piece of flat carbide soldered or brazed into a slot at the end of a piece of soft round stock, then ground to the desired shape and size on a cutter grinder. Polishing is done with diamond compound.

Back