What's new
What's new

EDM for Broken Drill and Tap Removal

MilGunsmith

Stainless
I am in search of a small EDM unit to remove broken drills or taps from prototype gun parts. Any sugestions on a unit? I have seen the Chevaliers unit that attaches to the mill or drill, any comments on that or something similar?

MilGun,

"Tap-busters" are available in configurations from the more-expensive, free-standing units, or as you pointed out, to less-expensive, portable EDM "heads" that can be mounted on a drill press or the back side of a Bridgeport mill. Some will operate dry while others require a water-based dielectric.

EDM TODAY magazine could be a good source of suppliers of such a unit. Give Jack Sebzda a call at (973) 831-1334

Bud

That's another great workaround, jkeyser. I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for the link.

I once had a 1/4" dowel pin that was stuck in a blind hole and at the time, we had no EDM. We did a similar workaround by welding a rod to the end of the dowel and using a slide hammer, was able to impact-hammer it out.

It took us a few tries because with the length of the slide hammer, the slightest side movement of it would break the weld. :-\

Bud

Godd ideas, but I should have mentioned that I am dealing with small drills and taps, 6-32 and smaller taps, #50-#60 drills. The drills usally break while drilling gasports in rifle barrels.

Back