What's new
What's new

C AXIS RUNOUT

princeton

Plastic
I have a Charmilles Roboform 40 and the c axis runs out .005 per side. Anybody know how to adjust it? The Verticle is perfect -just runs out when I spin the c.
Thanks

We had to do this to our machine. There should be 4 screws holding the chuck to the C axis rotary plate. Just slightly losen them. Use the manual control on the hand box to spin the C axis and tap into place. We had an indicating spud for our chuck which made it a pretty easy job. I think it was down to .0002 to .0003 T.I.R. when done. We have EROWA tooling on our machine, you could possibly get by indicating the inside bore in where the draw bar goes into the spindle. Mark

Thanks Mark,
I thought that's what I might have to do. We have 3R tooling which has 4 screws on studs and then about 8 screws below the studs. When I loosen them all I can get the axis to move but it bounces right back. Still waiting on Charmilles to call back. Will update when I get an answer.
Thanks,
John

Hello John,

It is very important for you to use a SYSTEM3R Checking Pin or if you had EROWA it would be called a control rod. This is a precision ground "master" element that is used expressly for indicating the chuck in concetric and orthogonal to your machining axis.

They are not cheap and you may want to borrow one of your friendly local competitors with SYSTEM3R sinker EDM tooling. This next part may sound oportunistic; however, if you cannot borrow one from a neighbor than you may purchase one from me.

Here is the part you should try and locate.
3R-606 Check Mandrel
(Check mandrel with ground C-reference for setting Macro chucks.)

FYI: You want to use the same Check Mandrel to indicate the SYSTEM3R chuck on your electrode manufacturing mill/lathe/grinder. This way all of your electrode manufacturing and burning is on center.

Good Luck !

Paul

Thanks Paul,
I do setup with the masters- learned that the hard way many years ago. I DID find out how to fix my c axis and it took a while. On the 3r macro system there is 8 screws- they come out, then a stud is inserted in the arbor, the entire pull-stud mechanism is removed, inside the head are four more screws they get loosned then indicate inside. Everything gets assembled and snugged then the x AND the c get aligned at the same time. Its a real pain but I got it- FINALLY!
If anybody has to do it 3r has phone support.
Thanks all

Back