What's new
What's new

Mastercam 'X' vs Mecanic

fritz1

Plastic
I am currently using Mecanic for our Agies (DEM315, AC100, 150/170HSS, Progress 2)! No Problems! It's all I've used!

I've been asked to give Mastercam 'X' a try! Not being familiar with Mastercam, I do not feel I would be a good judge of it.

Some opinions from users of both worlds, please.

Fred

Hi Fritz,

I really don't have any familiarity with Mecanic, but do I have Mastercam X. The layout of X is much different than previous versions, but I'm making the transition with relatively little pain. I prefer Mastercam for drawing, but with several packages available to me, I always find myself transferring completed geometry into Peps for programming the WEDM; their technology library is just that much more complete, and quite easy to use. I don't wish to confuse your decision even more, but you might consider adding Peps to the list of packages to check out before making a purchase. Good luck

Having used both MasterCam and Mecanic, I would put it this way. Use MasterCam for geometry creation and trimming the elements, then export an IGES file to Mecanic and produce the commands and countour for G-Code output (posting).

As you know Mecanic isn't very fast at creating geometry - MasterCam is. Mecanic will do a much better job of creating wire path and accurately posting code - more so than MasterCam.

Since you have AC 100, 150/170 HSS machines Mecanic will produce better (more useable) code then MasterCam. Those Wire Machines have the "tilting' upper and lower heads and require "Advanced Conic" programs. MasterCam doesn't output useable code for Agie "Advanced Conic". If you like to edit your code, try MasterCam.

I prefer not to edit the code so I would use Mecanic or EasyCut (Agie Proprietary software for the 100/200/300 series of machines).

I should add I programmed and ran Agie Wire EDM Machines for 21 years. Just so you know, I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

D_C

J.J. Mecanic is still around, sold by Mecasale. I have no imput how it compares to Mastercam myself. But I have a friend who is using an older version of Mastercam on his 100-D with no problems I know of.
Mark

Space, thanks for the response. Yeah, I was told for 4 axis programming on an Agie 123 system the mastercam software worked very well for them. I might look at this mecanic as well. Thanks J.J.

I am having problems with Mastercam X with charmilles machines, it's more suited for mitsubishi machines. It does have agie vision control, But as far as Im concerned for agie you should be using Peps, it is by far the easiest to toolpath with for the Agie

Back