What's new
What's new

angle accuracy

rmikl

Plastic
I am trying to cut a 15-degree angle using a charmilles robofil 510. Before the cut I changed over to soft brass wire, completed a guide setup at the maximum angle of 10-degrees, switched to large flushing cups, changed out threading diffuser to 1.8mm, and had Mastercam double check my part program to make sure it was correct. After all that preparation the part is consistently ¼ degree off. I can manually compensate for this error but I would think I should be able to achieve better accuracy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I called Charmilles and they insist that plus or minus a ¼ degree is all I can achieve without the taper expert addition.

If Charmilles tells you that you can only achieve
+/- 1/4 degree than I think you know your limits to what you can do. Also,if you know how to "tweak" the machine to eliminte the deviation then you alredy have the answer to your question.
How tall is the part that you are cutting?

2LMKR, so I take it that you are not able to achieve accuracy closer then 1/4 degree with you wire machine?
I am looking for some constructive ideas.

What I am saying is that plus or minus 15 minutes is quite reasonable when you are taper cutting. How tall is your part? Have you tried adjusting the WB and WS? Are you cutting this in one pass or do you have multiple skim passes? By increasing the WB + WS you might find that your deviation might drop down.

I believe Charmilles makes two different guide sizes that are different by a couple tenths. The larger of which is designed for ease of threading. You may want to try the tighter. Or is that what the "threader diffuser" is?? Maybe your guides are just wore??
I assume you are doing skim cuts. Are you always moving in the same direction? You know, like taking slop out of the ways...
Can you rotate the part by 90deg and let the other axis make the angled move?
Is that machine gantry? If not, maybe the UV ways just don't have fine enough steps and hence Charmilles won't claim to hold angles any tighter than 1/4deg. If that is the case, manually compinsating maybe the only way...
I assume this is a tall part?

The part thickness is 1.250 and I am skimming twice with one polish. I have tried rotating the part but I get the same results.
Jay Cee you are correct charmilles offers two diferent guides, unfortunately the taper guides are $3000.00. :eek:
I wish I could say it was the guides or ways but I have the same results in two different machines.

I used the 290 and 510.
I belive they would both be considered a gantry style machine.
I programed the part using a 4-axis format and taper they both gave the same results in test cuts.
I know it has to be something I am doing wrong.I just want to figure it out for future cuts.

rmikl,

I know you've done a vertical alignment, but have you double checked your taper information? This will consist of inputting the measured distance from the zero-line (table) plane to the lower guide, and also the measured value from zero-line to the upper guide at machine absolute 0 in the Z axis. This can have a large influence on the accuracy of your taper cuts as well. If this information is already correct, and you still have problems, I doubt there's anything you're doing wrong. Charmilles boasts the ability to cut extreme tapers, not accurate ones... :rolleyes:

EDM AE,I think that is a great idea to double check the guide setup manually, however I don't know how I would accuratly measure from the table to the guides because I do not know where the guides are at in relation to the holder. :confused:

Have you checked your table to bottom guide in the machine set-up. On my Sodick AQ 535 there is a value from table to bottom guide eg 8.7577mm if you have had to do any maintenance or removed the bottom guide this may need to be reset.
Andrew S

Andrew, when I run the guide setup the machine is supposed to calculate all those values

Since only one plane was off on the four axis program, I would lean away from your guide set-up being incorrect. If that were the case, you would have most likely seen both planes off. Don't you all think?? It would have shifted the planes either up or down.
There is really only one thing you can mess up on the guide set-up anyhow. The measurement from the bottom of the calibration tool to the middle (or top) of the carbide ring. Some Charmilles have you measure to the top, some to the middle. That's the only variable that you enter isn't it? And even that one only get's entered once unless you get a new calibration tool.

Yeah our controls use the mesurement to the top of the carbide piece and the value is always in the machine unless the dimension changes with a new piece of carbide.

hey buddy i use the same machine and have no problems at all. Maybe you need to dig in a little deeper. Keep me posted

If Charmille says the machine is only guaranteed for a 1/4 deg it sounds like you have 2 choices, either compensate for the error or purchase the taper guides. I think you need to pick one and go with it

Back