What's new
What's new

sinking a square slot, how much $ ?

toplever

Plastic
Hello there,
I really don't know much about EDM technology. I'm a gunsmith by trade and I'm planning in the near future to build a few receivers for break open single-shot rifles. There is a square slot in the receiver, about 1/4" x 3/4" and about 2 " deep. This slot hosts the locking bolt. I have drilled and broched it in the past, but what a nightmare that was. What approxi. whould it cost to have the slot EDM cut? Another question, if I would buy a machine to do it myself, what type of machine would you recommend me?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Toplever

Thru or blind? I am assuming thru. If so don't automatically rule out sinkers. They do thru work also and the way some wire shops quote you could get a low buck sinker guy to do it.

E mail me [email protected]

The tolerances are about + - .004". I can pre-drill and mill the slot if required. The finish should be pretty good, as a bolt will be sliding in the slot. However, I can polish it if necessary.
Thank you very much.
Toplever

P.S.: cdi, I sent you an email.

I would say you are probably looking at $250.

If you are new to EDM and don't have a huge need (volume) for this burn, I wouldn't recommend getting a machine. The old, inexpensive machines will take a long time to make this burn due to it's depth. The new machines can do it quickly, but have incredible price tags ($70K). Best to farm it out... With that said... Of course I have new machines... Let me know if you need some help.

Back