What's new
What's new

Electro Arc Tap Disintegrator?

Edster

Diamond
I'm thinking of getting a tap disintegrator. Does anyone have any hands on experience with an electro arc disintegrator? Any comments would be appreaciated.

I have one that I purchased 5 years ago. It is very stressful when you beak a tap in an important part. I tried the Walton tap extractors and they never worked for me. Now when I break a tap I enjoy burning it out. It was a good purchase.

I bought a used one, and the few times it's needed it is a real blessing to have. I tried the chemical tap remover and threw if out after it ruined the first 2 parts we tried it on.

The collets and electrodes are pricey from Electro Arc, and you need a different size for each size of tap - figure that into the price you pay. I found mine in a whole kit on ebay.

Sounds like it's handy to have around. Any problems with the machines themselves? I'm sure when the local repair shops find out I can burn taps out they will be bringing some work over.

In an area with a lot of shops it could be a real revenue producer. I once drove 30 minutes and paid $50 to have a 1/4" tap burned out - over 10 yrs ago. I've had no trouble with my machine, and it was quite neglected when I got it - $200 from auction.

Parts and supplys are expensive so finding a complete one with collets and electrodes would be a real bargin. I have an old elox that needs work that I would give to anyone that wants to pick it up.

Back