What's new
What's new

Any advice for a Wire EDM newbe.

emt2688

Cast Iron
I recently aquired an Agie 100D (1989 vintage) and am looking for help in the ins and outs of this machine.

Its been just set-up and everything is in good working order. But, I bought the machine privately, and there was no training involved. So, here I am struggling with the manuals, trying and occasionally succeeding at making parts.

The main issue is lack of information in the manuals. I have tried the recommended power settings (technology) in the book, and it seems like its always too "hot". Do any of you guys have standard settings for nominal thicknesses of steel.

Also, is there any good literature out there (print or web) for things like set-ups, troubleshooting, whatever.

Any help would be appreciated. If you have any available working Tech files for steel using CobraCut A ....1pass, rough +trim, rough + 2 trims....and you would like to e-mail them, send em to [email protected].

Thanks Guys

PS..One of the regulars here helped set up this machine...you know who you are, and I thank you. But I don't want to keep running to him for every little question.

when you say its "too hot" i assume you mean the power is too high and you keep breaking the wire.

the tec in the book is good apart from the power setting (P)
unless you have the top and bottom nozzles of the machine set 0.05mm above and below the job then you wont get anywhere near the setting in the book.
if you are using mode 6 tec(M=6) then you will struggle to get the power above 6 unless your nozzles are sealed(0.05mm)
if its mode (M=5) you are using then 16 is probably about the best you will get.

ive been running the exact same machine(1989) as this since it was brand new and it is very good for the age it is.

the only setting that you should have to change from the tec supplied with the machine is (P)

Thanks glenhead.

Exactly what you said, keep breaking the wire.

It's true that I don't have the nozzles sealed. My gap is more like .5mm. Mainly because I'm more in learning mode, doing test cuts to learn the machine and programming. So I'm not getting too fussy with indicating parts flat. I'll change that (move it more toward the 0.05mm nozzle setting) from now on to see if there's an improvement.

What do you get for material removal in steel for a single pass cut (high speed) in square mm or square inch.

Like I said,this is totally new to me, so even the simplest things may need explaining.

Just think of me as Solar-EDM ;)

Back