What's new
What's new

3R TOOLING REPEATABILITY WITH ROBOT

jasonwoods

Plastic
I AM USING A 3R ADJUSTABLE CHUCK WITH 3R ROBOTICS
AND A PRESETTING STATION.
I FIND THESE CHUCKS NOT TO REPEAT EVERY TIME SEEMS TO TAKE VERY LITTLE TO MOVE THEM AND I DONT SEE ANY WAY TO LOCK THEM DOWN ONCE ADJUSTED.
GOING FROM PRESET STATION NEVER REPEATS
IN AND OUT OF ROBOT PLUS OR MINUS .0002
IM AFRAID IF I REMOVE SLUGS THEY WILL MOVE OUT OF ADJUSTMENT
I DONT TRUST THEM
IF YOU CAN HELP ME
OUT I WOULD APPRECIATE IT
JASONWOODS

Hello Jason,

I will assume from the sounds of your description that you are using the SYSTEM3R wire EDM tooling on a pneumatic MACRO chuck.

I will also assume you are not critically compressing your work zone with a horizontal vise (i.e. while the part is getting machined, the material is moving). Simple solution here, use vertical clamps on edge of block.

The truth of the matter is the spring loaded SYSTEM3R tooling can move and that is why you will find their alternative "fixed head" solution for more critical work and automation where you really need to hold the advertised 80mill" The spring loaded chucks not only move while you load and unload, these chucks will also move under the high flushing pressure of the waterjet. SYSTEM3R has made attempts to fix their problem with the introduction of the MAGNUM series and the HP series. The spring loaded SYSTEM3R heads can still be dubious in critical applications.

If you are not heavily invested in SYSTEM3R spring loaded leveling heads then you may give STRONG consideration to the sister company (MECATOOL) and look at their unimatic system. YOU WILL BE HAPPY.

Another alternative is to consider an AGIE WIRE EDM with AUTOMATIC WORKPIECE TOUCH PROBE that automatically corrects for your workpiece in 3D space. This is the ideal automation solution with a fixed headed pallet. The fixed head allows zero movement in and out of the machine and the AUTOMATIC AGIE3D will automatically verify your part location and skew your program relative to the actual orientation of your block in the machine. Next, the machine automatically makes the wire perpendicular to the top surface of your workpiece or pallet and then performs a traditional wire pick up with the specified sides of the block.

Hope this info sheds some light on your problems. We have been selling EDM solutions with tooling, automation and EDMS for 12 years. Yes, I sell all of the major EDM tooing brands.

Back