What's new
What's new

Hole burning

Kliph

Plastic
We burn holes 24/6. We have a Charmilles DH 8 hole burner and a(new) Belmont hole burner with a Hass chuck. They both work fine.
But what I need to know is, is there a faster machine?
We are burning 2"-5"(not hole popping)deep. Most holes
are .030- .060. Mostly for air/steam vents in forging dies. Tool steel,H13.
It just seems to me that there has to be a faster
machine,
Thanks for any help.
Kliph

Kliph

Define "fast". What is the inch/minute rate you get now.
Steel can be tricky, as there may be a good amount of inpurities in them. I find SST almost drills 2-3X faster and less electrode wear. Inconel is even better. AL sucks, so is Titanium.
The point is that a top of the line machine may not necessarily give you extra speed in all situations.

We use brass rods. What is better than brass?
Sorry for the miss spelling of "Haas".

The drill electrodes are brass, and that's fine. You may want copper for carbide, but for anything else brass is the choice for electrodes.
I was talking about the material to be drilled.
How long does it take to drill 1" deep with what you have now?

I'm not sure how long it takes per inch.
But some dies have 28 holes. That many holes
take us about six hours to burn. As I said we
do this 24 hours six days a week, with two EDMs.
Maybe I should have asked, what machine does
everyone think is the best?
Thanks,
Kliph

For production machines, look at a custom made unit from Belmont. They are the primary source for production equipment as far as I know.
Hold on to your wallet though, not cheap.
Current also makes nice machines, but I don't know how much faster they would be.
The problem is in your case gonna be electrode wear. For 5" deep you want 16" or longer electrodes, but to get speed out of them you're gonna have to increase power, which in turn will increase electrode wear, which in turn takes time to change....
You get the point?
Perhaps look at something CNC with an electrode changer. Sodick, Astec, HON to name a few.

Raycon (Ann Arbor Mi) specializes in small holes at production levels they build special edms for FI nozzles(seconds per hole) and the like, again hang on to your wallet.

Back