What's new
What's new

DI water filter

Karl,

Something to be considered is filling the machine the first time with very pure water. It makes life much easier for your DI system if it simply "maintains" the water at low conductivity rather than trying to get it to low conductivity.

I use a unit similar to this one, to make the water for my wire machine. It consistently produces water with an ec of below 1. That unit makes me around 3 or 3½ gallons/hour, so I don't have to run it all that much to keep plenty of water on hand for maintaining the water level in the machine once full. When I know I'm going to do a water change, I simply build up my "stockpile" of good water until I have around 250 gallons on hand, and then do a water change.

DI system in my Agie is "coasting" most of the time because of the quality of the water that's in the machine to begin with.

PM

Starting with good DI water sounds like a good idea.

I think I'm buying a five stage water purifier for my wife for Christmas. <VBG> When I go to install it, I plan to point out that there's very little room under the kitchen sink. That's where the three recyling baskets are kept. Maybe it would be better to put it in the basement? I'll offer to run a special faucet upstairs. it will work just like you had it under the sink.<SHBG> <super huge big grin>

The machine I have has a conductivity sensor and sends water to a DI unit based on this while running. So, I need some kind of DI filter while operating. Has anyone seen, used, or comment on this item from McMaster Carr?

High capacity Deionizing cartridge part#353K75 on page 483

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=483

Karl,

I think your wife will definitely appreciate the lack of clutter under the sink and the great efforts you will go through to deliver RO water to the kitchen.

There really is no magic to a DI tank. My Agie has a simple stainless cannister with a filter screen on the inlet and a very fine mesh filter on the outlet. Remove the lid, dump in half a cubic foot or so of resin, close it back up and hook up the inlet and outlet line. Works exactly as you say; when the conductivity gets above a certain level, water starts going through the resin tank.

If this is your first wire edm machine, be aware that it's generally a good idea to allow the filters to do the work of cleaning the water before water is allowed through the DI tank (especially with aluminum). i.e. Get the conductivity as low as possible before doing your cutting, then adjust the "threshold" number up so that there will be no water going through the DI system while cutting, then after the water gets cleaned up fairly well the threshold value can be set down low again to run the water through the DI.

Your resin will last much longer doing it this way.

This is more important to do when filters are new, as new filters simply don't do as good a job as ones that have been used a bit.

Obviously there are times when this is impractical, but for short jobs, this is the method I generally use.

PM

Back