What's new
What's new

"C" axis retrofit on a die sinker...

Thanks, but I'm looking for a true "C" axis not just a rotating spindle. Charmilles price tag is around $38,000 installed. Not that it's not worth it... Just trying to find something a little cheaper.

I think the best course of action is to go to Charmilles. Though 3R makes their own C-Axis, it is designed specifically for each manufacturer's machine. As Charmilles has made their own C-Axis for years, there is no need for a 3R version.

The Moldmaker 3 was designed with an add-on C-Axis in mind and has a lot of extra daylight to allow for a device to hang from the platen without killing your Z-Axis clearance. Later models incorporated a built-in 3R-built C-Axis.

$38K seems like a lot, but having a clean OEM install and the capability of a C-Axis is a long-term benefit.

Good Luck,

Jack

I have a 3R retrofit on my Sodick Moldmaker III. It has performed flawlessly. The only occasional problem is not enough rpm. Mine is limited to about 10 rpm.

TMD, do you still have the Moldmaker 3 ? If so, any chance of photos of your C axis retro ?

Also, do you know the proceedure for making backup copies of the system and user disks ?

One can get more disks from Sodick at reasonable price of course, but I'm thinking that copies made on my particular Sodick NEC might work better, since the floppy disk head alignment would match more precisely if I made the backup myself.

JC, IMHO wouldn't it be easlier to just pick-up a whole machine with factory C axis ? With prices being what they are at auction and what not I'm sure it
can be done with less hassel than a retrofit.
A supplier of ours sold a Roboform 30 with all options for 25,000 last fall.
'97 machine low hours. Was temping but am holding out for a little
Roboform 20 once I'm caught up with work.
Let us know how you make out.
Hugh

Back