What's new
What's new

Best EDM Wire Cut?

BNV Raman

Plastic
Hi All,

Am Planning to buy a new wire cut EDM. Can anyone suggest the best one and the one with good value for money. I need about 5 microns positional accuracy and about 3 microns repeatability for my jobs.

Thanks,

-Raman

Boy you've done it now!

Everyone here has their personal preference brand-wise. Agie, Charmilles, Mitsubishi, Sodick, Fanuc, etc., etc.

Even my old Charmilles/Andrew EF22-930's will hold the tolerances you're looking for.

For the absolute best machines I'd say Agie or Charmilles. How much money you got? The best ain't cheap.

On the other hand, the best value for your money is the Brother HS-70A IMHO.

Now, if you really want to stir things up, ask what the best CAM system for wedm is.

Being in India, I would look first at what manufacturers have a good domestic sales, service, and parts program in place.

The best machine in the world will do you no good if it's sitting broken for 3 weeks waiting for parts to get though customs and a service tech to fly in from Japan or Europe to fix it.

How is the EDM industry in India anyway? Is there a large presense from the EDM manufacturers, or is it still scarce?

If you are looking for the best EDM machine around, look at the others mentioned, then look at Makino. Lower maintenance and operational costs, uses LOTS less wire than the others, very reliable, and Makino has factories and sales offices in India - Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, Mumbai, Delhi, Jamshedpur, and Manesar. These machines will absolutely hold the tolerances you are speaking of, and should not be overlooked during your search. Hopefully this helps.

I'll give a 2nd to the Makino... BUT the caviot is like Mits said, be sure of the service and parts availability in India. I know Makino has several offices there, but talk to some users as to their service and parts ability with regard to the EDM's(do this for all manufacturers you investigate).

Exactly! Getting a deal on the machine and then getting royally screwed for parts and service, if you can get them, means you didn't get a deal after all.

Don't forget to ask about a Preventive Maintenance program.

They all will do the job. I went with Fanuc and I've never been sorry. It is 3 and a half years old and we have had no issues other than standard maintenance items. Fanucs are fast, reliable, accurate, and don't cost an arm and a leg to run. I wouildn't hesitate to buy a high end Charmilles, the SI series machines are pricey but incredibly accurate. Agies are terrific machines as well. Makino doesn't make junk ANYTHING, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their products. Mitsubishi has a large market share and couldn't maintain it if their machines were bad. I agree with the advice to look at parts, service, and applications support in your area. The machines themselves will all do the job. I would buy another Fanuc if I needed a second machine. We have Methods EDM right down the road from us and they have treated us well.

I also agree that Makino would be an excellent choice, and they are fully able to support their EDM products in India. The two main direct offices there are in Bangalore and New Delhi. You can contact the Makino Bangalore sales/service/applications office at 91-80-8419-500. They have several operational machines in the showroom there as well as applications engineers with the ability to perform test cutting to your specification.

Thanks All...

Makino, Fanuc, Mitsubishi, Sodick, Charmilles are all present in INDIA. Looks like service and spare parts need a lot more investigation.

Thanks,

Raman

Back