What's new
What's new

EDNC-32 and EC 3025 Need Help

Lian_Webber

Plastic
I am having problems with this EDM's. It is obvious that the control unit is malfunctioning (MGB-30 and MGN). Is there any available control units that I can use as a substitute to this vintage control units.

Please I need advice.

Thank YOU.

My E-mail is [email protected]

What type of problem(s) are you having??? I might be able to help. I know those machines pretty well. I am out of town right now so I might not be able to respond until Monday.

There is no retrofit available from the MGB or MGN controls to a newer model from Makino. in the early '90s we would upgrade from MGB to MGC but that is long since gone. There has never been a retrofit for the MGN series control.
I know of no other outfits that have done anything as far as switching out controls and generators for that era machine.
Greg

For EDNC-32 Z-axis Over Travel when initialing Zero Return, Other Axis has no problem. It all started when my operator perare it for a task, upon initiating Zero Return X-axis overtraveled and and the Z-axis drop hitting the bed.

For EC 3025, on power-up I immidiately have an alarm.
Power OUT AT edit
Emergency Stop
Driver Error

Some ass-hole tried to fix it ending up in smashing it.

I have buget constraints so I cant by a new one, but the shop needs the wirecut badly.

please help.

Thank You.

I'll start with the EDNC32...
Sounds like the operator was too close to the x axis limit switch when he initiated the zero return. If the axis is too close, it does not sense the "slow down signal" and will hit the the x axis limit swich, causing alarm 01 (e-stop). Depending on how far the Z axis was from the bottom - it will also fall to the bottom switch. The only way to get the z axis off the bottom switch is to manually turn the screw. Make sure you have the Z axis backed off the bottom of the travel before powering on.
If the Z axis was say, in the middle of the travel the brake is also bad, as it should have stopped the Z after an inch or so.

With the current problem, if again, there is sufficient distance (couple of inches or so) from the Z+ Limit switch when initiating the zero return then it's more than likely the z axis limit switch (either connection, or switch itself), or the "dog" is not positioned correctly to allow zero return. I assume if you zero return the other axis' by themselves, the return OK?

NOW, the EC3025... I am going to assume it has MGN15W control. You didn't specify MGN10W, 15W, or 30W. (10W and 15W will be the same, 30W will be different on some items)
Was the machine actually powered off while in edit mode? There is a recovery procedure that must be followed if that was the case...
For alarm 01 - make sure that all axis are not at the end of the travels.
Driver error - I would check the batteries on the DSM cards. If they are bad, and the machine was powered off, then you have lost the parameter information. This will cause all kinds of false alarms to come up.
This ought to give you some things to check. Please let me know the results and if anything changes, and we can go from there.
Good luck!
Greg Hollister

Thank You the Z-axis of EDNC-32 is free, but another alarm came up.

Upon powering up Alarm 92 (coordinate-fault) is present.

Befor turning it off (that is before Alarm 92) i initiate Zero return X and Y axis is a success the Z keeps on traveling until it hits over travel. The Z started form the middle and I check if the DECZ switch is ok and its fine. I observe that the Z axis slowed down upon hitting DECZ switch but it never stop until it over traveled

Currently Alarm 92 is present and I have this on screen

X 0.000
Y 0.000
Z-8345.678

04c1 on the bottom right.

The controler is a MGB-30.

I'll be working on the wirecut. It seems that the batteries is as old as the control unit (Your right it is a MGN-15W)

Thank You.

If the EDNC32 sees the Decel signal and then just continues slowly until it hits the e-stop switch you more than likely have lost the parameter for Z axis zero shift. The Z axis number you see on the screen seems to support this.
There "should" be a parameter list inside the control door. It will have written on it, what the parameter was set at from the factory, compare that number with the number in the control. (DGN screen I think). If the list is missing, Makino in Japan should have a copy, you will need the machine and control serial numbers... In fact, if you find the list, fax it to me at 1-513-248-8889. If you have a tool changer, and we resolve this problem, we will still have to verify the ATC position prior to attempting a tool change.

However, if the parameter was "corrupted" there may be other problems that will come up as others may have been lost as well. If you had custom T-codes in the control, you might check to see that they are still there. If they are we might be OK, otherwise, a parameter reload might be the only solution. With the driver error, this is probably the case...

It would also be wise to check the connections to the EDMA card, the DECEL signals come into the control at CT107 on the EDMA, I doubt there is a loose connection in this case, but it wouldn't hurt. If needed, I do have a few parts available for these machines, but not very many...

NOW, if we HAVE lost the parameters, check the battery on this machine as well. It is located on the SCM card on the back side of the door. Below the CRT, lower right. You will have to find a suitable cross, as I doubt the battery is available any more.

Course you could always fly me out there to take a look

Good luck!
Greg Hollister

I found a MGB POWER SUPPLY manual and it has a parameter table.

I check each and every data in the table and it all check out exept for I 800 and I 380.

The data is erase every time I turn it on.
I 800 and I 380 belongs to the Automatic Parameter Transfer. I followed the procedure and still the data is erased.

My fax is screwed. E-mail and I'll mail the Parameters to you.

Parameter 800 is simply for Parameter reload and will reset itself. I 380 - I don't remember.
Does the machine have a tool changer?

Email me the parameter list and I'll take a look.
Greg

Back