What's new
What's new

electrode checking

5 axis Fidia guy

Stainless
I have a question for all you edm guys out there, are your electrodes inspected before they are burnt into the steel, either manually or cmm. I am referring to moldmaking or diemaking mainly. Or do people just take them off a cnc machine and burn them,, we inspect everything here before it hits the steel and many times it seems like a waste of time, of course that could change in a hurry if you find a mistake. Just wondering what you guys do.

it seems like a waste of time, of course that could change in a hurry if you find a mistake
Bingo!!!
Finding one mistake on an expensive part can pay for a whole lot of inspecting... Kind of depends on the part and the detail of the electrode, but even on a simple electrode a few minutes inspecting can stop a lot of headaches down the road.
In a lot of cases EDM is one of the last processes performed, careful inspection of the electrode and setup is a must. It takes a lot longer to create scrap on an EDM
. Therefore a significant amount of machine time is wasted if you put in a bad electrode. Not to mention the time from previous operations before the part reaches the EDM.
Course that's just my opinion...
Greg

I support inspection 100%. I've produced mold cavity blocks that needed a few hundred good electrodes to be complete, and could be scrapped by a single bad one. Inspection should include not only electrode dimensions, but also checking to make sure the electrode is secure on the pallet. Although it can be tedious and not really considered a "value added" process, in the long run, the benefit gained from electrode inspection will far outweigh it's cost.

Back