What's new
What's new

To Wire Tall Parts

Brian Alspach

Plastic
Our company is contemplating purchasing a wire to cut tall (thick) parts. We currently have 8 wires with a maximum submerged cutting capability of about 10 inches.
We are looking for the best machine to handle wire work up to 19 to 20 inches thick. Any input or knowledge would be appreciated. So far researching Ona, Makino, Agie, Charmilles...
Anyone running any of these or some other machine through thick steel?
Does anyone out there have extensive experience doing 16 to 20 inch wire cuts? If so what types of real world accuracy do you see top to bottom in the parts you cut?
Any info would be appreciated... Thanks

We have cut 16 inch parts with a Fanuc, but it doesn't go up to the range you need without adding a spacer. You can hold .0007 straightness or better if your tech and settings are good. My vote, for what it's worth would be Makino. They make an awesome machine.

have a look to ONA, they built massıve machınes i thin the biggest machine they produce is one called AE1000 whitmore than 23 inch of travel in Z axıs they also have a specıal devıce for bıg thickneses called HTS, it ıs a change when cuttıng bıg thicknesses, they suck water through one nozzle, then the stability and accuracy is very big, in 15 ınch they say they can cut to a bıtmore than 4 ınchsq/mın wıth less tah 0,8ınch of vertıcalıty.

We're a manufacturer of various EDM machines in China.We have cnc high speed wire cut EDM machine DK77 series,which is specialized in machining large thickness of 20 inch or 40 inch.
DK77 series adopt molybdenum as electrode.
the price is much lower than brass wiew tpye WEDM.
If you have interest in it,just go ahead about tech. details.
My mail is [email protected]
our website is www.suzhoubaoma.com

Excited about the "Belly buster"??
Other manufacturers have beaten that problem long ago but have failed to advertise the fact.
I absolutley adore the split guides of Makino. Mark my words, that is a trend that all machine makers will be following...
Does the U86 have a chilled casting?

Thanks for the input gentlemen... We a currently looking into Makino and as was stated above it looks like the U86 is an awsome machine that would meet our needs.
Brian, You can't go wrong with the Makino. Makino has crash protection with energized heads. The smallest slug coming in contact with a head will stop the machine. Saved me more than once. I had a U53 and a SP64. The U53 was an older machine and we had problems with corrosion. I was told not to put an additive in my water supply so we suffered through it. My SP64 is a fantastic machine. The U53 had a drop tank which could accept large objects but you could not wire EDM large parts submerged. The SP64 has an enclosed tank so you are limited in the size of your parts. Makino phone service is fantastic if you purchase your machine from Makino. Otherwise there is a yearly service fee for phone service.

Brian,

Tip: Whatever machine you chose, when cutting parts over .008" tall, use a plain brass wire as large as your machine will accept, preferably .012". Larger if it's an option. (You may already know this... just trying to help you or others)
Why: Because there is no coated wire (even D or X) that can survive over 8", even with a high, wire run-off speed. The zinc-rich coating will be cooked off within the first 6" and you'll be cutting most of the part with plain brass wire anyway.
Results: Coated wire might cut a teeny-bit faster, but not enough to justify the cost.

Bud

Now knowing this thread is "17 years old", I think "Brian might have figured it out by now", also.
Thanks for your constructive criticism, Phil, how nice to meet you this way.
Explanation: I didn't notice a date when this was posted... I was only trying to help. However, your reply caused me to check and find that nowhere within this "17 year-old thread", did you once contribute, or offer any help or guidance yourself.
By your example, perhaps in the future, I'll participate less and leave it to you "Diamond" members to police from the sidelines, while offering no help yourself.

Bud

Back